ChefHef

well, zucchini IS a summer squash. Zucchini just refers, I believe, to the green type. The yellow crookneck or patty-pan would substitute just fine with no discernible change to the taste.

Agree. "Summer squash" is sort of a generic term, encompassing zukes, yellow zukes, yellow squash, patty pan, even cucumber squash. Have at it!

Helen's All Night Diner

I think all the zucchini recipes were born out of necessity. One always plants too many & they all come on at once, LOL.

wssmom

Once peeled, they're the same to me -- the yellow squash rind is much thicker .than the zucchini.

Melissa Clark
Melissa Clark

Melissa Clark is a food columnist for the New York Times and has written over 32 cookbooks, including the recent Cook This Now.

The only thing is the summer squash tend to have more seeds, and often larger seeds, than zucchini, so look for small ones. Or remove some of the seeds (halve lengthwise and scoop some out with a spoon, cucumber-style) before grating.

skittle

It's ridiculous how helpful this site is. Thanks!