Hard summer squash?? How to use

I was given couple of summer squash yesterday and they are not exactly my ideal, too long on the vine I guess since they are hard, not as hard as winter squash but I can't see the appeal in sautéing them.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I use them in a zucchini bread recipe???

• Posted by: Aliwaks
  • September 6, 2013

Voted the Best Reply!

David
David September 6, 2013

It's typically just thick skins that make those large, late summer zucchini feel hard. So you could peel the skin off and then sautee them or use them in bread. My grandmother used to cut them in half, scoop out some of the middle and stuff them (anything from garic bread crumbs and parmesan to chopped olives and herbs to spicy sausage etc.) Then she would bake them.

Pinch&Swirl
Pinch&Swirl September 6, 2013

Absolutely you can use it in zucchini bread, just be sure to peel it first.

Another idea is to stuff it like you would a bell pepper. I grew up eating stuffed zucchini because there were always those few squash that would be just hidden enough not to be noticed until they were enormous. :) You can stuff them with a mixture of sauteed bread, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Or you could create a stuffing with sauteed veggies and quinoa or rice. Either way, I recommend topping with a layer of mozzarella. Then bake the squash at 350 until the squash is tender - 30 minutes or more. You'll scoop out delicious bites, leaving the tough skin behind.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel September 6, 2013

You could also make a squash version of zucchini butter (http://food52.com/blog...). YUM!

AntoniaJames September 6, 2013

Pickle them! They probably don't have an enormous amount of flavor, if past experience here is any indication. Definitely pickle them. But then, I pickle everything in sight . . . . ;o) P.S. I'd lightly/partially peel, leaving thin stripes of peel down the sides, and then give them a good long cold-brine soak before getting down to the real fun of pickling.

susan g September 9, 2013

Try a pureed soup -- that's what I'm going to do. That and 'microwave bread and butter pickles.'

Aliwaks
Aliwaks September 9, 2013

I ended up using then to make Vegan brownies...came out pretty good (though not good enough to warrant a Food52 recipe) V moist