Hard summer squash?? How to use

I was given couple of summer squash yesterday and they are not exactly my ideal, too long on the vine I guess since they are hard, not as hard as winter squash but I can't see the appeal in sautéing them.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I use them in a zucchini bread recipe???

asked by Aliwaks about 5 years ago

Pinch&Swirl

Absolutely you can use it in zucchini bread, just be sure to peel it first.

Another idea is to stuff it like you would a bell pepper. I grew up eating stuffed zucchini because there were always those few squash that would be just hidden enough not to be noticed until they were enormous. :) You can stuff them with a mixture of sauteed bread, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Or you could create a stuffing with sauteed veggies and quinoa or rice. Either way, I recommend topping with a layer of mozzarella. Then bake the squash at 350 until the squash is tender - 30 minutes or more. You'll scoop out delicious bites, leaving the tough skin behind.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

You could also make a squash version of zucchini butter (http://food52.com/blog...). YUM!

Pickle them! They probably don't have an enormous amount of flavor, if past experience here is any indication. Definitely pickle them. But then, I pickle everything in sight . . . . ;o) P.S. I'd lightly/partially peel, leaving thin stripes of peel down the sides, and then give them a good long cold-brine soak before getting down to the real fun of pickling.

Try a pureed soup -- that's what I'm going to do. That and 'microwave bread and butter pickles.'

Aliwaks

I ended up using then to make Vegan brownies...came out pretty good (though not good enough to warrant a Food52 recipe) V moist