🔕 🔔

Hard summer squash?? How to use

I was given couple of summer squash yesterday and they are not exactly my ideal, too long on the vine I guess since they are hard, not as hard as winter squash but I can't see the appeal in sautéing them.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I use them in a zucchini bread recipe???

asked by Aliwaks about 4 years ago

Bf96bf47 5ee7 4a32 88e4 fcea6e691f00  img 7201

Absolutely you can use it in zucchini bread, just be sure to peel it first.

Another idea is to stuff it like you would a bell pepper. I grew up eating stuffed zucchini because there were always those few squash that would be just hidden enough not to be noticed until they were enormous. :) You can stuff them with a mixture of sauteed bread, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Or you could create a stuffing with sauteed veggies and quinoa or rice. Either way, I recommend topping with a layer of mozzarella. Then bake the squash at 350 until the squash is tender - 30 minutes or more. You'll scoop out delicious bites, leaving the tough skin behind.

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

You could also make a squash version of zucchini butter (http://food52.com/blog...). YUM!

Pickle them! They probably don't have an enormous amount of flavor, if past experience here is any indication. Definitely pickle them. But then, I pickle everything in sight . . . . ;o) P.S. I'd lightly/partially peel, leaving thin stripes of peel down the sides, and then give them a good long cold-brine soak before getting down to the real fun of pickling.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Try a pureed soup -- that's what I'm going to do. That and 'microwave bread and butter pickles.'

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

I ended up using then to make Vegan brownies...came out pretty good (though not good enough to warrant a Food52 recipe) V moist