🔕 🔔

Can I replace the butter in a muffin recipe with an equivalent amount of virgin coconut oil?

With berries hitting our local farmers' markets, I'm on a mission to come up with a really great - but more healthful - berry muffin recipe. I plan to incorporate some whole grain flours into the mix, but now I'm wondering if I can use virgin coconut oil in place of all or part of the butter called for in a recipe? Thanks!

asked by lastnightsdinner over 6 years ago

C1ee2f1b 1227 490d 835a 4cd5e3a2e04c  marnely1 1

Yes. Normally muffins are made with a melted fat because there is no need to aerate it (as there is for cupcakes which have a light, airy crumb structure). Coconut Oil will work perfectly in muffins!

Fe7a777a 0cb9 4520 b309 cc1ea77d9c84  dscf0037 2

I haven't tried this yet with muffins, but I have it with one of my fav cookie recipes for comparisons sake. Overall: there was an ever-so-slight coconut flavor in the final product (more like a scent than flavor -- it was delightful, actually). But, I definitely noticed that the results were dryer & crumblier, and that this got more noticeable on day 2+.

7c2ff10b 2d8c 4c6a b7ae 074fd688e453  fb avatar

Doesn't it matter that the fat content is different between butter and oil? Butter is usually around 80% fat while coconut oil is 100%.

Maybe it would make more sense to use 80% coconut oil, 20% liquid like milk or water to balance it out and keep the muffins from being too oily.