Worcestershire sauce substitution?

We are making barbequed chicken. I need 1/4 cup for the mop sauce. I just got back from the store and really don't want to go back out. I do have fish sauce, soy sauce, tamarind concentrate, oyster sauce, lots of vinegars and anchovies.

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 7 years ago

Summer of Eggplant

Never mind, just found this; http://www.nytimes.com....

In this recipe, I incorporated my Worcestershire sauce analog into the sauce. Might be simpler than the link you found.

Burnt Offerings

If you don't want to go that extra step of making it - I've found that soy sauce is a pretty good substitute. For the amount you need, perhaps add a tablespoon of fish sauce to it.

nogaga

Soy sauce, vinegar, anchovies and a teeny bit of ketchup (or tamarind) and you're golden!

Summer of Eggplant

Thanks everyone!

Don't forget the ground allspice! It's a critical component. If I were winging it, I'd combine fish sauce + soy + tamarind + (really good) ketchup + rice or cider vinegar + a pinch of allspice. ;o)

Summer of Eggplant

AntoniaJames - I did just that but instead of allspice I ground some cloves and Szechuan peppercorns and a little garlic and onion powder. We will see shortly.

Oooh la la! Summer of Eggplant, I like the cloves + Szechuan peppercorns. Cloves always overwhelm my taste buds, which is why I prefer the somewhat less assertive allspice, but I really like that combination. Makes me want to get into the kitchen to make some! (In fact, I probably will, the next time I marinate beef.) ;o)