🔕 🔔

Worcestershire sauce substitution?

We are making barbequed chicken. I need 1/4 cup for the mop sauce. I just got back from the store and really don't want to go back out. I do have fish sauce, soy sauce, tamarind concentrate, oyster sauce, lots of vinegars and anchovies.

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 6 years ago

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Never mind, just found this; http://www.nytimes.com....

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

In this recipe, I incorporated my Worcestershire sauce analog into the sauce. Might be simpler than the link you found.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

If you don't want to go that extra step of making it - I've found that soy sauce is a pretty good substitute. For the amount you need, perhaps add a tablespoon of fish sauce to it.

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Soy sauce, vinegar, anchovies and a teeny bit of ketchup (or tamarind) and you're golden!

Thanks everyone!

Don't forget the ground allspice! It's a critical component. If I were winging it, I'd combine fish sauce + soy + tamarind + (really good) ketchup + rice or cider vinegar + a pinch of allspice. ;o)

AntoniaJames - I did just that but instead of allspice I ground some cloves and Szechuan peppercorns and a little garlic and onion powder. We will see shortly.

Oooh la la! Summer of Eggplant, I like the cloves + Szechuan peppercorns. Cloves always overwhelm my taste buds, which is why I prefer the somewhat less assertive allspice, but I really like that combination. Makes me want to get into the kitchen to make some! (In fact, I probably will, the next time I marinate beef.) ;o)