Worcestershire sauce substitution?

We are making barbequed chicken. I need 1/4 cup for the mop sauce. I just got back from the store and really don't want to go back out. I do have fish sauce, soy sauce, tamarind concentrate, oyster sauce, lots of vinegars and anchovies.

Summer of Eggplant

Never mind, just found this; http://www.nytimes.com....

susan g July 4, 2011

In this recipe, I incorporated my Worcestershire sauce analog into the sauce. Might be simpler than the link you found.

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings July 4, 2011

If you don't want to go that extra step of making it - I've found that soy sauce is a pretty good substitute. For the amount you need, perhaps add a tablespoon of fish sauce to it.

nogaga
nogaga July 4, 2011

Soy sauce, vinegar, anchovies and a teeny bit of ketchup (or tamarind) and you're golden!

Summer of Eggplant

Thanks everyone!

AntoniaJames July 4, 2011

Don't forget the ground allspice! It's a critical component. If I were winging it, I'd combine fish sauce + soy + tamarind + (really good) ketchup + rice or cider vinegar + a pinch of allspice. ;o)

Summer of Eggplant

AntoniaJames - I did just that but instead of allspice I ground some cloves and Szechuan peppercorns and a little garlic and onion powder. We will see shortly.

AntoniaJames July 4, 2011

Oooh la la! Summer of Eggplant, I like the cloves + Szechuan peppercorns. Cloves always overwhelm my taste buds, which is why I prefer the somewhat less assertive allspice, but I really like that combination. Makes me want to get into the kitchen to make some! (In fact, I probably will, the next time I marinate beef.) ;o)