What's the most efficient method to extract juice from ginger? I thought I was so clever when I recently used a garlic press, but I have my doubts...

asked by MPB almost 8 years ago

SueonFood

A microplaner works beautifully. You are getting some ginger pulp too, but that adds more flavor. Incidentally, off the topic, but still about ginger - nothing is better than juicing together a thick slice of ginger with a granny smith apple and 2 carrots. Throw in a beet for something really yummy.

MPB
MPB

Heavenly daze, SueonFood; ginger, apple, carrots and beets are my favorite for juicing...! The combination results in the most amazing flavors...!

I'd better buy a microplaner for my ginger juice...

SueonFood

Great minds...

You'll love the microplaner for lemon zest and Parmesan cheese too.

I can think of about 6 reasons why my microplaner does not work on ginger -- so I do use a very good garlic press (Pampered Chef), or the Japanese white porcelain ginger grater -- just catch the juice. But there must be a better way.

MMH
MMH

If u freeze the ginger 1st, it works great.

betteirene

My garlic press gets used with ginger more than it does with garlic. (I'm a garlic smasher/mincer/paste-maker with a knife on a nylon cutting board.)

I've been playing with ginger and baked goods for a couple of winters. I'm trying to perfect recipes for cakey ginger cookies with ginger icing and a ginger raisin yeast bread. I use ginger juice in both recipes, but I don't want ginger fibers in either one. In between baking sessions, I throw the ginger, wrapped in plastic, in the freezer.

It could be all in my head, but I swear that frozen and thawed ginger is juicier than fresh ginger. Maybe one day soon, I'll pretend to be Alton Brown and will take precise measurements--by weight, not volume--of fresh vs. frozen ginger juice.

pauljoseph

If you want more than 1/2 cup of ginger juice use this method http://chinesefood.about...

pauljoseph

the great the ginger like this then you can wrap the gratings in cheesecloth before squeezing and squeeze the juice through cheesecloth.we usually do like this to make ginger lemon

Amelia Hurlbut

I also peel the ginger, put it in a food processor and then squeeze through cheese cloth.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I have a beautiful Japanese ginger grater that I use. It takes a while but meditative. I seriously have to learn how to use a camera better so I can start posting pictures. Can't remember where I got it but it's like a tiny pottery bowl with shallow spikes on one side. Rub the ginger over the shallow spikes and the juice will collect on the smooth side.

I have a cheap one from a asain store. It's metal and has the little teeth and the collection trough for the juice that runs out. After it does what it can..I turn it over and tap it on wax paper and collect the fibrous bits and ball them up and squeeze them some more.