🔕 🔔

What do you do with the green sprout inside a garlic clove that's been around a while? Do you still use the garlic as-is? Extract the sprout and use the rest of the clove? Or is it a total deal-breaker?
And what is the best way to store garlic?

asked by sabrina0 about 7 years ago

That little green "germ" is really bitter, so yes take that out. Garlic, I think, is best left out in the whole bulb. Don't refrigerate it unless it's already peeled. You can confit it ala Keller too. It's labor intensive to remove the germ, or you can just buy more bulbs.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

In my early years I had many chefs tell me not to use it. Never have and probably never will. It means it gone in metamorphesis so to speak. Its ready to sprout and grow. If you have a garden put them in some sandy soil or a pot with well draining soil and in 9 months you will have grown your own garlic.

7eaa4b74 4ea8 48a9 9067 c0aa2e0b5c3d  img 0788 hsm

When you cut up that little green sprout, it immediately starts a chemical reaction which causes the garlic to smell a bit off ,.. and the smell grows the longer it is allowed to sit like that. When I was at the Culinary Institute of America the chefs suggested removing before chopping. In day to day, home use, I generally leave it in (unless I am prepping the garlic a little ahead and don't want it to smell off).

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

take out the sprout it is bitter.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Take the sucker out. When u buy head of garlic, they should be firm and whole. Store in a cool dry place, not in sealed plastic bag. I'm always tempted to buy the ginormous bag of garlic from costco, but I steer clear, since that's way too much garlic for our small family to use . Unless u have a vampire problem, then go crazy.