🔕 🔔

In storing cooked dried beans, should i drain them or store them in their cooking liquid?

asked by XXX-XXX-2148 over 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Drain them & store (I assume you mean freezing), the liquid tends to get glutinous due the proteins leaching out otherwise, and also, its faster to thaw when you decide to use them.
There was an earlier question on this same topic, lemme see if I can .dig it out.

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

here's the link

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Yes, I too always drain, allow to get quite dry, then put in baggies and freeze. Hope this is useful!

09e96f32 5fc6 465f ae05 9f156b104560  family feb2012 version 2

It depends on what you intend to do with them later. If you have made soupy beans for a main or side dish (Mexican or Latin American style), freeze with the liquid. When you serve them again, you will want the delicious liquid. The gelatinous liquid softens up when reheated. If you plan to use them later as an ingredient in other dishes, then I agree with the previous answers: drain and freeze.