Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Canned v. Dried beans

Thanks to all the advice I got here last week, my black Bean came out better when I cooked them without rinsing. But they weren't creamy, like those at the taqueria down the street..

Was watching Americas test kitchen on Saturday and they said canned Goya are best, because grocery stores in America don't have enough turnover to ensure high quality beans.

What's your experience? Should I just stop trying to make good beans and just go back to cans?

asked by puttakka almost 2 years ago

It depends upon where you purchase your dried beans. If you are in an area like I am, with a lot of Middle Eastern and Hispanic folks, the dried beans are fresh - especially the Goya beans -- because the turnover is so high. I generally purchase my dried beans from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, or order direct from Rancho Gordo. That DEFINITELY ensures freshness. Personally I don't care for canned beans. I always think I can taste the can, and I really dislike all that gunk that's in with the beans.

I've been using beans from whole foods bulk bins...but maybe out turnover isn't that high. I'll check out rancho Gordo...thanks!

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I second ChefJune's recommendation of Rancho Gordo beans, here's the link.
http://www.ranchogordo...

I third (also second) Rancho Gordo brand. Failing that, ask managers at stores you shop how often they get new delivery of beans....not how I often they restock Shelves.

Do you have a Hispanic supermarket near by? That's where I buy black beans and I have been impressed with the way they cook.

Thanks again everyone your the tips and the rancho Gordon website. I too prefer to avoid the tinny taste of canned beans but I'm so tired of eating flavorless badly cooked (by me) beans.

As for the rancho gordo beans, how many to order at a time? If I cook two cups of various beans each week, how many should I order? If the goal is freshness, I wouldn't want to stock up too much, right? Shipping to the east cost is very high.

Maybe I'll canvass around here and see if anyone wants to do a group order. Anyone here from the Greater Boston area?

I found the Rancho Gordo beans delicious but too high in cost (bfans themselves abd shipping to east) fir regular use. either do your collective shipping (if you get enough people) or order a sample set as a treat ...include different types you like, while looking for Good tasting beans closer to home. And/or ask Rancho Gordo if they now sell to any retailers near you.

I think beans are only harvested once a year, so you could easily order a supply to carry you through August or September. Check with Rancho Gordo to see when they harvest their crops, then plan accordingly.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I too prefer dry beans to canned -- no matter what you do to the canned stuff, I can still taste the can :( Another thing that helps with the flavor is to add a bay leaf, a small carrot and/or a teaspoon of vinegar while cooking.