Olives as a main ingredient?

I am craving them in a major way. Know any good dishes/baked goods?

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Bevi

The Silver Palate - Chicken Marbella

http://www.epicurious.com...

Olives are not in any way the main ingredient, but the flavor permeates the dish.

Fried and/or stuffed Olives. Agree with Bevi on the classic chicken, prunes and olive recipe, Chicken Marbella.

Here's a shortbread:

Summer of Eggplant

A pissaladiere. Or tuna provençal.

garlic&lemon

Try tapenade: http://www.food52.com/recipes.... The olive spread can be spread on crackers, crostini or pizza, thrown into a myriad of pasta dishes, added to quick breads, yeast breads or biscuits, drizzled on ripe tomatoes, scrambled with eggs, and on and on.

How about a veggie style Muffuletta? With roasted red peppers, zucchini, a chickpea humus, and the olive tapenade. pepperoncini and artichoke hearts would be good in that too. Cheeses would be optional.
A sandwich made this way can last days and gets better the next day. Slicing off sections for work lunches.

MrsKeller

Oh great. Now you got me craving them too!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Yum, Sam1148. I have been meaning to experiment with muffalettas. What type of bread would you recommend? There is a good brick oven bakery around the corner from me that has all kinds of Italian bread. I think I would make the olive salad with a little bit of carrot, celery...and pepperoncini as you suggest. Thanks!

@antialetric.
Just any kind of artisan type loaf bread with a soft center and crusty outside.
One tech for this type of sandwich..Instead of using hummus. Use white beans (Drained).
Scoop out a 'hallow' in in the bread and blend the bean and bread bits from the hollow spot. To make a paste. (additions of olive oil and lemon juice--basically skipping the thanni element of hummus).
Coating the top and base with the bean mix seals the bread making it a long lasting sandwich that's better the next day and good for several days in the 'fridge.
Wrap tightly and press a bit overnight if you wish.

Making a hollow in the top and bottom and coating that with bean/hummus type paste lets you pile in tons of other stuff and still have a neat sandwich.
You could pile on tons of olive mix, and veggies in that.
(Of course when I do mine I load the hollows with mortadella and salami (g).

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

That is genius! Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the tips. Will let you know how it comes out

An olive dish from Ascoli Piena: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I also love muffalettas (but not the wussy vegetarian ones), the olive salad is the key component that makes it all sing an aria.

...and, while it wouldn't be a main course, in Venice I did eat some fantastic bread rolls that were studded with whole green olives. Haven't figured out how to do it yet but I'm working on it...

ibbeachnana

Not sure why my response did not show up the first time so if it is shown twice, sorry.

There is a similar recipe to Marbella, caramelized chicken with olives and prunes that is finished with cilantro and almonds over at Chocolate and Zucchini.