🔕 🔔

Subbing frozen berries for fresh

I realize this is a bizarre question to ask in the middle of summer, but if a recipe calls for say, 6 oz of fresh berries, what weight of frozen berries should I use? In terms of volume, I have generally just used one cup frozen for one cup fresh, with no problems, but I don't know if weight is different for some reason. I suppose it shouldn't be, but is there some reason you'd somehow "attract" liquid in the freezer, which would skew the weight upward? Does this make any sense

asked by sarabclever over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I just do a 1 to 1 substitution. Frozen berries release juice more easily because the ice crystals puncture their cell membranes, but I don't think they attract extra water in the freezer.

5242e966 33b2 40fd be9b 92606991300f  sara clevering

That makes sense. Good, I don't have to do any math!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

i agree with hla. no difference in fresh v. frozen.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

No difference. You may need to compensate for the extra liquid, depending on what you're cooking/baking.