OK so I made a pizza with arugula and have about half a bag of it left over and I won't be making pizza again for awhile. Does arugula make a good pesto and if so, how do you make it? Should I put it in the freezer? I don't like it in salads.

asked by AntoninDevourChoc about 8 years ago

rroseperry

I'm at work and away from my cookbooks, but I think there's an arugala pasta recipe somewhere in Marcell Hazan's cookbooks.

dymnyno

I love sliced heirloom tomatoes arranged on a bet of baby arugula, drizzled with good olive oil and lemon juice.

Arugula makes a terrible pesto but dymnyo's riff on caprese salad works just dandy. You don't need much more than fresh mozzarella, tomato and olive oil to complete it. You could also combine it with ricotta for filling (or flinging) stuffed pastas.

This is by now a cliche, but I like arugula with roasted beets, some goat cheese and a vinaigrette dressing. I've also put it into omelets and served it with fried eggs over it for an easy supper.

nutcakes

I've never made arugula pesto, worth a try. Also iti s very nice wilted into pasta dishes. I used to order a pasta with arugula, bacon, tomato and jalapenos at a long ago cafe that was delish. I personally love it as a bed for steak or veal chop then doused with lemon juice, but sounds like that wouldn't be up your alley.

TheWimpyVegetarian

I made an arugula pesto a few years ago when I had a bumper crop of arugula and I know tastes can be subjective, but I really didn't like it. Very boring. So when I have an excess of it now, I make a big quinoa pilaf with roasted cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and arugula. I wait until the whole dish is done, take it off the heat and stir in the arugula at the end so that it just wilts but retains a great punch of peppery flavor. The dish refrigerated and reheats great too.

LukasVolger

I love arugula pesto... Sometimes I do half arugula and half parsley, blitzed up with toasted walnuts, parmesean, and a bit of basalmic vinegar as the acid. And I freeze my pestos in little foil-wrapped, portioned pouches, stacked up in an airtight container. This makes for an easy meal later in the week or month, with roasted cherry tomatoes and a bit of red onion, tossed with pasta, thinned out with a bit of cooking water.

Savorykitchen

I like arugula pesto too - a lot depends on the arugula though. if yours is the pre-washed kind in a bag, the flavor's like to be pretty mild - especially in a pesto. You could extend a basil pesto by adding some of the arugula in with it.

I would use what you've got left in a frittata or a vegetable pasta dish. It'll wilt down to almost nothing and give you some nice color.

Very interesting conversation here, but I like nutcakes' suggestion for using arugula as bottom (or top) for grilled veal. Great accompaniment, with a little citrus for anything beef/veal category.

ArZee

I love arugula. I use it in a simplle salad just with a good olive oil, lemon juice and a grind of salt. It's great!

melissav

There is a good argula pesto on this site -- http://www.food52.com/recipes.... My go to arugula recipe when I have a bunch is toss hot pasta with olive oil, fresh ricotta, lots of lemon zest, arugula, salt, and pepper. It is a delicious quick meal.

Savour

We eat arugula salads all the time - it's our default salad green. I like it with toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan. That being said, I think it does make a good pesto, but I'd use walnuts in place of pine nuts.