🔕 🔔

Poaching Chicken

When poaching chicken, why does the recipe say "simmer with pan partially covered". Why not have the lid on all the way?

asked by SKK about 6 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

When I poach chicken, I have it on very low heat and completely uncovered. I make sure only a few bubbles are present. Same thing for salmon - uncovered. Are you asking about a certain recipe? My guess would be allow for steam to escape while maintaining the desirable texture of the chicken, instead of dry & stringy. Once the pouching temperature is achieved are you covering slightly, then offing the heat and using the lid for residual cooking? I wonder if I've been doing it all wrong now, but always had pretty good results. I want to poach - not have the chicken simmering, boiling or steaming...

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

You want to keep the poaching liquid at a constant temperature, a bubble or two at a time, and you want to allow the steam to escape. SexyLambChops, I've poached without a lid as well but think the chicken has a nicer texture when it's poached partially covered. maybe I'm crazy!!!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Bring a large stock pot of salted water to boil. (season water if you wish with some onion, carrot, celery).
Put in whole chicken--it should cover the bird about 2-3 inches...bring back to a boil.
TURN IT OFF. Cover the pot. Wait one to one 1/2 hour.
The chicken will be perfectly poached.

Shred it remove the skin and put the bones back in the stock pot (remove or reduce some of the water) and simmer for stock.
Perfect every time and makes the most moist poached chicken you've ever had.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Thank you all!