What to do with leeks - that isn't soup...

I have 5 beautiful fresh leeks that I want to use for dinner tonight, but I do not want to make a soup. Any suggestions? Vegetarian options are very welcome!

asked by There'sAlwaysPie about 7 years ago

The recipes above look great! I like to use them in a warm salad dressing too with - ahem - bacon. Grilled leeks are pretty awesome as well.

Panfusine

1. Saute the leeks lightly and add them to a simple daal & pair it with plain basmati rice.
2. Substitute the onions with the leeks in Saag paneer. Since the recipe does not call for the onions being browned, soft leeks add a mildly pleasant variation in flavor

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Or caramelize them slowly in plenty of butter, then toss them with cooked pasta, toasted nuts of your choice (walnuts, pinenuts, almonds...) and a generous grating of fresh Parmesan.

Sauteed leeks are excellent in quiche. If you don't want to make the pastry yourself you can cheat and use frozen pie crust.

I agree with Pierino. I love a leek and bacon pie for brunch, for a quick supper, made with Whole Foods organic whole wheat pie crusts.

Summer of Eggplant

I cream them along with some fennel. Slice 2 leeks and one fennel bulb sautee in olive oil, add S+P and finish them with some cream at the end.

There'sAlwaysPie

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Midge

I'll just add that the leek, lemon, and feta quiche above is really delicious!

I saw a rather elegant presentation using leeks as a faux bone marrow plating.
The leeks where hollowed out. A 'marrow' was made with leek bits, onions, and mushroom caramelized to gell like. The leeks 'bone' was par-boiled and stuffed with the carmalized mixture and sauced with a mushroom/sherry reduction sauce.

If I find the pic I'll post here later.

Ah, I should have just googled the words. Leeks Bone Marrow.

http://seattlefoodgeek...