Freezing leeks/onions/mushrooms?

I made a yummy onion/leek/mushroom sauté thing to serve with steak tonight. It made way more than we'll eat. Can I freeze it for a dinner I'm having next week (thinking it would make a good snack on some crostini with goat cheese) or will it last in the fridge a week? I sautéed onions, leeks, and creminis until they were all soft and melty if the method matters. Thanks!

asked by MTMitchell almost 7 years ago

ATG117

Due to their water content, mushrooms and onions change their texture once frozen. That said I think you are in better shape since they are already sauteed. I would use what you can throughout the week; it should keep well in a sealed container. Then freeze what you don't get through. You have nothing to lose at that point.

MTMitchell

Great -- thanks! We'll eat it tonight and I'll freeze it and see what happens (I'm gone all week for work). And that's true - I have nothing to lose!