I have an abundance of roasted kabocha squash. Does anyone know any recipes (besides mashing it up) for already cooked squash?

asked by HeviCooks almost 8 years ago

Savorykitchen

You could sub it for the yam in this winning recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Or use it in a butternut squash soup recipe.

It would go great in my Pureed Roasted Parsnips and Butternut Squash with Creme Fraiche recipe at

Do let us know please, BTW, how you use it! ;o)

Sadassa_Ulna

Substitute mashed squash for pumpkin in a pie?

It would be perfect in my Roasted Pumpkin and Red Lentil Soup recipe (one of my first submitted to food52, almost a year ago). It's a lot like the cauliflower and red lentil soup recipe I posted last week. It's great with any kind of roasted squash.

Also, roasted squash freezes well, too, so you should consider putting some in the freezer for future use! ;o)

Jennifer Ann

mix with some grated potatoes, scallions, and spices and pan fry into little cakes

Use it in place of or addition to bananas in banana bread. Or try it in place of zucchini in this recipe:
http://www.food52.com/recipes....
I also agree with the suggestion to freeze it.

healthierkitchen

Use it as a layer in a vegetarian lasagne (mix with some veggie stock and thyme) with some sauteed mushrooms, ricotta cheese and maybe even spinach lasagne noodles

Gourmando

My favorite way to cook any squash: Cut it in half horizontally. Scoop out seeds. Bake cut-side down (not up) at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on size; kabochas will take 45-60 minutes. When squash begins to collapse, remove from oven, turn cut-side up. Pour in a little bit of olive oil or nut oil or butter, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.

betteirene

All of the above, plus these biscuits--I sub the squash all the time.

http://www.marthastewart...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh has a great recipe for kabocha squash. I made it for a vegan friend. You can go to Barnes and Noble and check it out before you buy the book, but I love the book. It's beautifully designed and an inspiring look into Japanese cooking. I wish I could visit Japan....

To SuzanneF's point about weeping . . . actually, for any pie or pudding or other dish where the amount of liquid contributed by the squash is important, be sure to drain it well in a colander, for at least an hour (stirring it two or three times while it's draining) before using it. Roasting squash and pumpkin produces a lot of liquid! It varies from piece to piece, but is necessary, every time. Also, on the subject of weeping, when it comes to pies . . . the weeping can also be caused by overcooking the filling. Actually, it's the custard in the filling that weeps when overcooked. ;o)

To luvcookbook's point about Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh . . . . your library might also have it. Mine does, so I just requested it!! (My library also has about five other books by Andoh.) Thanks, luvcookbooks, for the suggestion!! ;o)

HeviCooks

AntoniaJames, I made the red lentil soup and it was delicious! Thank you for the idea.
Also, betteirene, those biscuits are next on my list.
Thank you everyone! Now I wish I had MORE squash!

You're welcome! I'm so glad you liked it! We make that soup often throughout the fall and winter. I get at least one butternut each week and roast it at the same time that I have a loaf of bread in the oven. So easy, so bright and beautiful, and ever so delicious. I never tire of it. ;o)