🔕 🔔

I have an abundance of roasted kabocha squash. Does anyone know any recipes (besides mashing it up) for already cooked squash?

asked by HeviCooks about 7 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

You could sub it for the yam in this winning recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Or use it in a butternut squash soup recipe.

It would go great in my Pureed Roasted Parsnips and Butternut Squash with Creme Fraiche recipe at

Do let us know please, BTW, how you use it! ;o)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Substitute mashed squash for pumpkin in a pie?

It would be perfect in my Roasted Pumpkin and Red Lentil Soup recipe (one of my first submitted to food52, almost a year ago). It's a lot like the cauliflower and red lentil soup recipe I posted last week. It's great with any kind of roasted squash.

Also, roasted squash freezes well, too, so you should consider putting some in the freezer for future use! ;o)

9b7057f4 3dc4 4682 b30c 344179b9824c  img 0828

mix with some grated potatoes, scallions, and spices and pan fry into little cakes

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Use it in place of or addition to bananas in banana bread. Or try it in place of zucchini in this recipe:
http://www.food52.com/recipes....
I also agree with the suggestion to freeze it.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Use it as a layer in a vegetarian lasagne (mix with some veggie stock and thyme) with some sauteed mushrooms, ricotta cheese and maybe even spinach lasagne noodles

My favorite way to cook any squash: Cut it in half horizontally. Scoop out seeds. Bake cut-side down (not up) at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on size; kabochas will take 45-60 minutes. When squash begins to collapse, remove from oven, turn cut-side up. Pour in a little bit of olive oil or nut oil or butter, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

All of the above, plus these biscuits--I sub the squash all the time.

http://www.marthastewart...

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh has a great recipe for kabocha squash. I made it for a vegan friend. You can go to Barnes and Noble and check it out before you buy the book, but I love the book. It's beautifully designed and an inspiring look into Japanese cooking. I wish I could visit Japan....

To SuzanneF's point about weeping . . . actually, for any pie or pudding or other dish where the amount of liquid contributed by the squash is important, be sure to drain it well in a colander, for at least an hour (stirring it two or three times while it's draining) before using it. Roasting squash and pumpkin produces a lot of liquid! It varies from piece to piece, but is necessary, every time. Also, on the subject of weeping, when it comes to pies . . . the weeping can also be caused by overcooking the filling. Actually, it's the custard in the filling that weeps when overcooked. ;o)

To luvcookbook's point about Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh . . . . your library might also have it. Mine does, so I just requested it!! (My library also has about five other books by Andoh.) Thanks, luvcookbooks, for the suggestion!! ;o)

04c705eb 0d28 4901 8638 fe69c45501e5  photo 46

AntoniaJames, I made the red lentil soup and it was delicious! Thank you for the idea.
Also, betteirene, those biscuits are next on my list.
Thank you everyone! Now I wish I had MORE squash!

You're welcome! I'm so glad you liked it! We make that soup often throughout the fall and winter. I get at least one butternut each week and roast it at the same time that I have a loaf of bread in the oven. So easy, so bright and beautiful, and ever so delicious. I never tire of it. ;o)