I have an abundance of roasted kabocha squash. Does anyone know any recipes (besides mashing it up) for already cooked squash?

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen October 11, 2010

You could sub it for the yam in this winning recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Or use it in a butternut squash soup recipe.

AntoniaJames October 11, 2010

It would go great in my Pureed Roasted Parsnips and Butternut Squash with Creme Fraiche recipe at

Do let us know please, BTW, how you use it! ;o)

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna October 11, 2010

Substitute mashed squash for pumpkin in a pie?

AntoniaJames October 11, 2010

It would be perfect in my Roasted Pumpkin and Red Lentil Soup recipe (one of my first submitted to food52, almost a year ago). It's a lot like the cauliflower and red lentil soup recipe I posted last week. It's great with any kind of roasted squash.

AntoniaJames October 11, 2010

Also, roasted squash freezes well, too, so you should consider putting some in the freezer for future use! ;o)

Voted the Best Reply!

Suzanne F
Suzanne F October 11, 2010

Use it instead of pumpkin or sweet potato in a pie. If you want to hold it until T-Day, freeze it, but remember that it will weep when you thaw it.

Jennifer Ann
Jennifer Ann October 11, 2010

mix with some grated potatoes, scallions, and spices and pan fry into little cakes

drbabs October 11, 2010

Use it in place of or addition to bananas in banana bread. Or try it in place of zucchini in this recipe:
http://www.food52.com/recipes....
I also agree with the suggestion to freeze it.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen October 11, 2010

Use it as a layer in a vegetarian lasagne (mix with some veggie stock and thyme) with some sauteed mushrooms, ricotta cheese and maybe even spinach lasagne noodles

Gourmando
Gourmando October 11, 2010

My favorite way to cook any squash: Cut it in half horizontally. Scoop out seeds. Bake cut-side down (not up) at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on size; kabochas will take 45-60 minutes. When squash begins to collapse, remove from oven, turn cut-side up. Pour in a little bit of olive oil or nut oil or butter, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.

betteirene
betteirene October 12, 2010

All of the above, plus these biscuits--I sub the squash all the time.

http://www.marthastewart...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks October 12, 2010

Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh has a great recipe for kabocha squash. I made it for a vegan friend. You can go to Barnes and Noble and check it out before you buy the book, but I love the book. It's beautifully designed and an inspiring look into Japanese cooking. I wish I could visit Japan....

AntoniaJames October 12, 2010

To SuzanneF's point about weeping . . . actually, for any pie or pudding or other dish where the amount of liquid contributed by the squash is important, be sure to drain it well in a colander, for at least an hour (stirring it two or three times while it's draining) before using it. Roasting squash and pumpkin produces a lot of liquid! It varies from piece to piece, but is necessary, every time. Also, on the subject of weeping, when it comes to pies . . . the weeping can also be caused by overcooking the filling. Actually, it's the custard in the filling that weeps when overcooked. ;o)

AntoniaJames October 12, 2010

To luvcookbook's point about Washoku Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh . . . . your library might also have it. Mine does, so I just requested it!! (My library also has about five other books by Andoh.) Thanks, luvcookbooks, for the suggestion!! ;o)

HeviCooks
HeviCooks October 18, 2010

AntoniaJames, I made the red lentil soup and it was delicious! Thank you for the idea.
Also, betteirene, those biscuits are next on my list.
Thank you everyone! Now I wish I had MORE squash!

AntoniaJames October 19, 2010

You're welcome! I'm so glad you liked it! We make that soup often throughout the fall and winter. I get at least one butternut each week and roast it at the same time that I have a loaf of bread in the oven. So easy, so bright and beautiful, and ever so delicious. I never tire of it. ;o)