🔕 🔔

Side Dishes for Porchetta

I'm having some friends over this weekend to go to the beach and have an early dinner. I am planning on making a porchetta since I have a beautiful pork shoulder I need to use and I can throw it in the oven before we head downstairs to the beach and only have to run up one or two times to check on it. I'd like some side dish ideas but something lighter than the typical mashed potatoes and braised greens since it is so hot out and we will have been at the beach. Also, if it can be made ahead, even better.

asked by melissav over 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

http://www.food52.com/recipes... - a wonderful meal.

How about a light potato salad made with red potatoes, sliced after cooking and tossed right away, while warm, in an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing? I'd add a bit of chopped parsley and perhaps a few capers and/or coarsely chopped cornichons, and salt and pepper to taste. It will hold at room temperature. I always try to balance pork, especially pork shoulder, with something sharp. The contest winning green beans, feta and marjoram salad would also go well. I'd make dessert light and fruity. Sounds like a nice party!! ;o)

When I prepar porchetta I serve it with Italian salsa verde ; parsley capers anchovies and olive oil.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Jennifer Perillo's Summer Farro Salad (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) would go well with porchetta. It can defiinitely be made ahead and has some lovely summer flavors.

I also make this potato salad a lot in the summer. It is easy to put together, a great accompaniment to pork, and it can be served warm or cold.

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Love the potato salad idea as well as the salsa verde. Now, you've got me thinking of combining the two into a salsa verde type potato salad. Thanks.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

We do a Greek(ish) pork roast that's in a similar vein as porchetta - then wrap slices in warm pita - or other flatbread - along with spinach or arugula dressed in a vinegar-y vinaigrette and crumbled feta. Maybe some thinly sliced red onions. Everyone does their own assembly. Really good - the sharpness of the vinaigrette (like salsa verde) cuts the richness of the pork. One of my favorite summer dinners. Simply grilled or roasted cherry tomatoes and red peppers, with olive oil and garlic, go really well with it.

We cook root vegetables along with the pork. The pork fat flavors the vegetables wonderfully! You should use more veggies than you think you will need. They always disappear quickly.

C1ee596a 94f7 4127 af49 ccb0a1e52550  img 0360

An easy raw kale salad goes perfectly with porchetta! After rinsing the leaves, I chop the kale into bite-sized pieces, transfer it to a salad bowl, and pour over the dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, a little Dijon mustard, a squeeze of anchovy paste if you have it, a pinch of dried red chili flakes, fresh-ground black pepper, and salt). Then I give it a good massage with my bare hands, grate Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, and toss to distribute the cheese. The massaging seems to break down the tougher fibers while working in the dressing, and the flavors only get better as the salad sits in the fridge. Plus, the kale retains a nice glossy green color, so if you do prepare it in advance there's no need to worry about serving your guests a healthy salad of brownish mush.

Af133c4f 3b5c 4530 b69e 6a1ef85d22dd  img 0907

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

this would be awesome with porchetta:

or a simple side salad of arugula and thin-sliced red onion, served with this: