🔕 🔔

How would you use coconut flour?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I asked this question a couple of months ago and was told by Syronai

Add it to baked goods in small quantities (1/4 cup or less) for some additional fiber and flavor. Something to keep in mind is that coconut flour absorbs moisture at a phenomenal rate, so using even a small amount in baking usually means you'll need to increase your liquid slightly. It depends on the recipe, so add it first, take a look at the consistency, and add more liquid as seems needed.

You can also use coconut flour as a base for breads (it's great for gluten-free baking). For this, you'll want to do some research. This site's recipes are pretty standard:
http://www.tiana-coconut...
When coconut flour is used as the main flour in a bread, you MUST increase the number of eggs in the recipe (usually double) or it won't turn out right at all. When I make muffins from coconut flour and potato flour, I use 3 eggs in the recipe for 12 muffins. Coconut flour will make your baked goods more dense and the bread isn't like a "normal" bread, but it's delicious in its own way.

You can also use it in breading; because it's good at absorbing moisture, using coconut flour for dredging meat before dipping in egg and batter works quite well. Good luck! It's a really fun flour, but it does take some practice to use well, so don't get discouraged if a first try ends up rather wonky.