Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

What is the best technique for grating?

I seem to grate and microplane myself all the time. It hurts. Is there some technique that will minimize this problem, or do I need to accept that it will happen every once and a while?

asked by LBurt over 5 years ago
Aa9fa4c0 7505 46d9 b9c3 6d5a88a0f789  amycooking

We bought BladeX5 57100 Classic Cut & Slash Resistant Gloves from Amazon because my husband can't seem to use the mandoline without, well ... and I've also worn one when microplaining. No cuts or scrapes!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

You can try wrapping a kitchen towel around your fingers but microplanes are pretty forgiving unless you are trying to get every last shred out of the object being grated.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Try sliding whatever you're grating away from yourself in short strokes on the grater, and turn it frequently so you can readjust your fingers.

I bought the gloves that AmyW mentioned, but I've only used them with my mandoline because that's where I cut myself all the time. But I'm sure they'd work with the grater also.