🔕 🔔

Baklava - Technique Questions

1. There are so many layering techniques. Filo-Butter-Filo-Butter, Filo-Filo-Butter-Filo-Filo, Plain Filo then pour all the hot butter like you would the syrup. These are just the few I remember and there were surely more. What do you reckon is best and which technique is the most traditional?

2. Buttering techniques vary too. There is the brush with butter full coverage or the rough drizzle. I've read that minimal contact is best to avoid layer compression, so you will get the nice flaky distinct layers.

3. How about your opinion on the amount of Filo-Nut layer? Does more layering give a better texture?

4. Most recipes seem to go for one nut variety only. Currently I definitely have almonds, maybe walnuts and cashews hidden somewhere. I'm wondering if a nut mix would be good? Whats your favorite and why?

asked by JohnTing 5 months ago

I can't speak to the layering technique, but my favorite nut for baklava are pistachios.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I've only made baklava once but I know I used Alton Brown's recipe...I believe he buttered each sheet of phyllo until he had 10 layers, then ⅓ the filling, then 6 more sheets (buttered in between), then ⅓ filling, then 6 more, ⅓ filling, then 8 sheets....for a total of 30 sheets of phyllo, all with thin layers of butter. I think its important to the texture to have that "lamination" if you will. I've seen the drizzle technique, but I know I just brushed it straight on. I think the more dynamic flavor the better....I like a mixture of almonds, cashews and pistachios for baklava. I make a "baklava tart" that I use that combination of nuts with orange, honey and rose water.

7345bc7c 9585 4a7f 9a8b cbe7aea7a147  23331285 10214060653810907 1116765438695339526 o

Baklava is a lot more free form and forgiving than it gets credit for. I'd go with a brush drizzle, I agree that too much contact is bad for texture. I love mixing up the variety of nuts I use, here is my recipe if you want a guideline for measurement. https://food52.com/recipes...

Thanks. I will go with a nut mix to add more depth, and the drizzle method since seems easier and faster anyways. Now to find a good metric recipe to start...

GsR

Pistachios are fantastic and very traditional. Only rule I know of is hot syrup and cold baklava or vicey versa. Key is temputure differential.. one hot one cold for maximum syrup absorption.

Yes, I have taken note of that point too. Hot and hot leads to mushy mass, and cold and cold does not absorb well.