I opened a pkg of raw organic ckn and it had a funny smell. The sell by date isn't for 4 more days, but is it still safe to eat?

sdebrango August 5, 2011

I would err on the side of caution and not use it. Take it back to the store. I am very cautious especially with chicken.

amysarah August 5, 2011

Yes, absolutely take it back. Funny smelling poultry is not to be messed with.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I have to agree with the other comments; why take a chance? Usually if it smells bad, it is bad.

drbabs August 5, 2011

Trust your nose!! You have no idea how it was stored when it was transported. Food poisoning is horrible!

pierino August 5, 2011

I'll join the symphony here. But did it smell funny like the Marx Brothers or bad like funky? I've had the same experience with imported lamb from NZ (why do we do that anyway?), I wouldn't touch it or let it touch anything else in the kitchen.

mrslarkin August 5, 2011

I agree with the others. But I'd first give it a rinse under cold water, and pat dry, then smell again, as store-bought raw chicken always smells funky to me.

ChefJune August 5, 2011

I would also take it back. That it is organic is no guarantee that hygienic practices were followed, or that it wasn't left out of refrigeration for a time.

latoscana
latoscana August 5, 2011

Bacteria are organic, so the organic label is no guarantee of safety.

Greenstuff August 5, 2011

I often feel that chicken, especially when it's been packaged in plastic, smells off. After a couple of returns and some arguments/discussions with butchers and meat counter employees, I'm no longer so quick to reject it. Now, I try two methods, either let it sit out for a bit, or give it a rinse (I don't ordinarily rinse my poultry). Usually, the odor disappears. Not too scientific, but if I rejected every chicken I thought was bad, I'd have to grow my own.

boulangere August 6, 2011

I vote with the majority here. Organically raised is one thing. Bulk processed god knows where and how are entirely another. Return it. And yes, pierino, why the hell do we import lamb from N of all places Z?

SKK August 6, 2011

If your nose doesn't like it your belly won't either.