Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

I'm growing beets in my garden. How do I know when they're fully grown?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You can see the top of the beet and when it gets large enough you pick it. There is size variation amongst the different varieties of beets.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I don't know when you planted them, but when you thin (each beet "seed" is actually several seeds), you can put the greens in salad. Later on, when the little ball of the beet is evident (feel around carefully), you can thin again, dicing the baby beets and chopping the greens to steam away on top. When they are fully grown (about 45-50 days), the beet itself is pretty visible at the soil line. The greens may have toughened by then. The ripe beets will rest comfortably in the garden for quite a while, getting bigger but generally still good to eat. You can continue to plant beets (depending on where you live, but in New England there is still time--my fall crop is just up) as they prefer the cooler weather of fall.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.