Storing Beets.

I want to explore using beets again. We always had the canned versions as a child and I never really liked them at the time.
The question is that beets are normally sold with the green tops intact.
With carrots; they last much longer in the 'fridge if you cut off the green tops. It keeps the moisture inside them and not wicking away from the root. It seems to work on radishes too.
Would that help beets last longer too? I know with beets the green tops should be saved for other uses.

asked almost 7 years ago

la domestique

I always remove the green tops from beets, just like with carrots, to keep them in good shape longer. I keep beets in a zip lock bag in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. When I worked in a restaurant the chef kept fresh beets (tops off) on a baking sheet, covered with salt for storage.

mensaque

I looove beats...Just boiled,then some olive oil and onion vinaigrette,and white rice:Perfection!My tip is cook them without peeling first,they taste better and your hands won't be pink forever.And when you boil them,the water must taste like tears,and you don't need to cry,just mix sugar and salt to the water till it's about right...But that was not what you asked:The tops and leaves are very good sautée or on omelets and I keep them off,too.My beets last for a couple of months on zip lock bags but I think they like breathing a bit so I keep them un-locked.

mainecook61

Yes, take the tops off. When winter comes, I store them in a box in the cellar for months that way.