My pie crust isn't coming together like it should. What can I do to help?

I'm making a blueberry pie, and I've followed the crust instructions perfectly. It says that after adding lemon zest, cream, and egg yolk, to pulse it a few times and that it should come together. It says that as an option to add one more egg yolk if needed, which I have done, but it is still too flaky. Should I add another egg yolk or more cream? or will that ruin the crust?

Help please!

asked by elisa over 7 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I'd add water -- just a 1/2 teaspoon at a time -- with a few pulses in-between. It should pull together within a few teaspoons at most. Good luck!

Agree with Peter -- ice water, a little at a time.

Peter
Peter

And let us know how it turns out. :-)

elisa

Thanks so much, adding the water really worked. It came together quite quickly. Cheers!