🔕 🔔

Mealy peaches

I'm stuck with a load of very mealy white peaches and was wondering if they would compromise a batch of jam or chutney.

asked by gluttonforlife about 6 years ago

02b68c6a 7bcb 4387 b4c5 83adca012e13  runningspoon perre magness

I think mealy peaches might make meal chutney. I do think you could make a puree, maybe sweetened, and freeze or can it. Bellinis?

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

How disappointing! They are mealy because they were picked before they were ripe and them put in cold storage. Do they have any flavor? If they do, of course you can make jam, chutney or even peach butter.

I spent many summers working with peaches on my family's orchard and am often disappointed in what is available in stores. Peaches are a delicate fruit and large producers pick them green so they look good after they are shipped.

I will take bruises that come with ripe peaches any day!

367d3166 a466 4b67 a123 677d02f016b1  ls

Thanks for your replies! The thing is, these peaches are from a trusted farm stand, and a previous flat of white peaches from them was a highlight of the summer, so it's a bit of a mystery. I think I will go for the chutney where I'm hoping spices and raisins will make up for a lot...

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

I just made barbecue sauce from some peaches and plums that ended up in my refrigerator by accident. Pureed, the texture isn't noticeable. You could make a sweet or savory sauce out of them, a smooth jam or even fruit leather.

Update: I made chutney (ginger, jalapeño, a little apple, dates, raisins, brown sugar, vinegar, Indian spices) to put up and I also pureed about a cupful to use as barbecue sauce. I did have to cook the chutney down quite a bit to fully disguise the peach consistency, but in the end it all turned out great!