I have some old tomatillos that I husked and left in a bowl on the dining table for several weeks. Can I use? They look fine.

asked by @theRealCoconutz about 8 years ago

One More Bite

The timing couldn't be any better. I just posted a recipe for Tomatillo Salsa today: http://agablack.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/animal-part-ii-wherein-bunnies-go-to-heaven/
Hope you'll love this one as much as I have. Beside what I wrote on my blog, I also use it for yummy sandwiches. So, so good with avocado and burrata. Enjoy!
Agi

If they look fine, well, that's a good sign. Cut one open and try it! If it smells bad, don't bother tasting it. If it smells okay, taste it. If it tastes okay, use it! And please let us know how it turns out!! ;o)

pikawicca

If they're not moldy or rotten, they're fine. These guys store well at room temp.

innoabrd

Tomatillos actually store better at room temp than refrigerated, according to some research from UC Davis I read. I think they contain some pectin as well, which helps too.

anyone

You would definitly know if they were bad. Black and oozing.

nutcakes

I kept all the firm ones and dumped any spongy ones, only a couple -- wow these are keepers. I also bought another pound and didn't need to use them. So salsa for sure this week. Thank You all for the the good advice.

anyone

Salsa sounds great, but how about a good pork chile verde? My favorite for tomatillo's.