Toasting black sesame seeds

I bought some black sesame seeds in bulk and plan to use them as garnish on sushi. I'm guessing they aren't already toasted. Should I toast them first, or are they good to go?

hardlikearmour August 11, 2011

I've used them as is, and have never toasted them. Now I'm curious to know if others toast them.

Greenstuff August 11, 2011

I don't generally toast them, but I tend to burn most every seed I do toast, and it'd be even harder to avoid with seeds that aren't going to brown. I do like them untoasted, so I guess it's okay.

thespicegirl
thespicegirl August 11, 2011

They have a really great flavor as is. Often I mix regular toasted ones with the black ones. It looks really pretty.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery August 11, 2011

I've never toasted them and always use as is too.

Panfusine
Panfusine August 11, 2011

They're untoasted, since the color is so dark its hard to make out whether they've browned enough, the trick is determine when they begin popping & jumping on the hot skillet. they're usually toasted just right at this point.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa August 11, 2011

thanks, everyone! i think i'll toast some just for kicks, but i agree that it's probably not necessary to do it. plus i have a weird attention-span problem that kicks in whenever i begin to toast nuts, seeds, coconut, or spices-- i suddenly find something that is so much more fascinating or important that i turn my back on the oven or pan and almost always end up cooking them too long. same goes for heating milk. i need stove blinders.

boulangere August 11, 2011

So reassuring to hear. I can't tell you how many batches of this and that I've incinerated.

Greenstuff August 11, 2011

Where's Burnt Offerings to give our group a name? While I do know that I should wait around for the hopping and popping, I just don't seem to focus. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I like thespicegirl's idea to mix sesame seeds--that sounds really good.