Toasting black sesame seeds

I bought some black sesame seeds in bulk and plan to use them as garnish on sushi. I'm guessing they aren't already toasted. Should I toast them first, or are they good to go?

asked by vvvanessa over 7 years ago

I've used them as is, and have never toasted them. Now I'm curious to know if others toast them.

I don't generally toast them, but I tend to burn most every seed I do toast, and it'd be even harder to avoid with seeds that aren't going to brown. I do like them untoasted, so I guess it's okay.

thespicegirl

They have a really great flavor as is. Often I mix regular toasted ones with the black ones. It looks really pretty.

beyondcelery

I've never toasted them and always use as is too.

Panfusine

They're untoasted, since the color is so dark its hard to make out whether they've browned enough, the trick is determine when they begin popping & jumping on the hot skillet. they're usually toasted just right at this point.

vvvanessa

thanks, everyone! i think i'll toast some just for kicks, but i agree that it's probably not necessary to do it. plus i have a weird attention-span problem that kicks in whenever i begin to toast nuts, seeds, coconut, or spices-- i suddenly find something that is so much more fascinating or important that i turn my back on the oven or pan and almost always end up cooking them too long. same goes for heating milk. i need stove blinders.

So reassuring to hear. I can't tell you how many batches of this and that I've incinerated.

Where's Burnt Offerings to give our group a name? While I do know that I should wait around for the hopping and popping, I just don't seem to focus. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I like thespicegirl's idea to mix sesame seeds--that sounds really good.