What to serve with Shrimp Étouffée ?

I have an overnight guest this week. She is eating low cal/low fat. Any ideas what to serve with my shrimp dish? Sides, dessert, whatever. Thanks.

asked by Dona over 7 years ago

I don't usually serve a side as such with étouffé because it's over rice. But a good salad might be right in line with her eating regime. And grilled stone fruit with a dollop of whipped cream would be lovely.

hah
hah

Definitely a salad, especially one with lots of tomatoes, since the gorgeous, delectable, heirlooms are in season. As boulangere suggests, perhaps the tomatoes could be grilled with your choice of herbs. Just sprinkle with a high-quality balsamic vinegar, and you have a healthful side with no fat and is very low in calories. If her calorie count allows it, a slice boiled egg would make the tomato salad pretty.

Nothing more than good quality bread followed by seasonal fruit. I guess cornmeal fried okra won't work here.

Dona

Good suggestions, thanks. Uh...no fried okra this time, but it sure sounds good.

Cornmeal fried okra = bliss.

Helen's All Night Diner

Most of the recipes for Shrimp Étouffée that I have seen have quite a bit of fat in them. You may want to consider Shrimp Creole instead. Just a thought. This is also usually served over rice and would be great with a salad, a good loaf of crusty bread and a simple fruit dessert.

Dona

Helen, the recipe I use is only 300 calories per serving so I think will work for her. With bread and a salad I think it will be plenty. I made lemon sorbet for dessert, serving with little cookies.

Sagegreen

I think a delicate simple green salad, with butter lettuce maybe, would be great.