A question about a recipe: Ham Balls with a Pineapple and Chipotle Drizzle

260d31a7 04f8 4854 bd19 f7cf076e7880  ham balls

I have a question about the ingredient "crushed pineapple" on the recipe "Ham Balls with a Pineapple and Chipotle Drizzle" from Dax Phillips. So should this pineapple be fresh or canned? I hope fresh. Also, with the bread crumbs, I have home made from old bread, but have purchased panko....so use the panko?

asked by Sagegreen almost 7 years ago

Sagegreen

OK now that I have re-read the recipe I have my answer about the breadcrumbs, that I use both...but just wondering about the intended pineapple. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's canned, Sagegreen. I haven't made this recipe, but I have the same recipe with a different sauce that I've made for eons, and it calls for canned, crushed pineapple. (Maybe that's why I haven't made it for a while!)

let us know if you try it with fresh. I'd love to know how that works.

Sagegreen

Thanks, ChefJune. Maybe I could make some with canned and some with fresh. I am not a fan of canned usually, but they might work well here.

I would do it with fresh pineapple. Whenever i can I substitute fresh for canned. These sound delicious.

Sagegreen

Fresh pineapple worked great, I can report! I wish I made twice as much sauce, it is that good. These would be great for a brunch, too! So, I am all set. Thanks for your help!

Great to know.I'll be making my recipe up soon, then. Fresh pineapple! int he same quantity?

Sagegreen

Yes, same quantity. Four oz equals about 2 thick pineapple cored rings. I now have a scale to measure! In the future I will make double the sauce for more than a drizzle, with 8 oz of fresh pineapple, 2 peppers and 1 cup of water.