🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Ham Balls with a Pineapple and Chipotle Drizzle

260d31a7 04f8 4854 bd19 f7cf076e7880  ham balls

I have a question about the ingredient "crushed pineapple" on the recipe "Ham Balls with a Pineapple and Chipotle Drizzle" from Dax Phillips. So should this pineapple be fresh or canned? I hope fresh. Also, with the bread crumbs, I have home made from old bread, but have purchased panko....so use the panko?

asked by Sagegreen about 6 years ago

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

OK now that I have re-read the recipe I have my answer about the breadcrumbs, that I use both...but just wondering about the intended pineapple. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's canned, Sagegreen. I haven't made this recipe, but I have the same recipe with a different sauce that I've made for eons, and it calls for canned, crushed pineapple. (Maybe that's why I haven't made it for a while!)

let us know if you try it with fresh. I'd love to know how that works.

Thanks, ChefJune. Maybe I could make some with canned and some with fresh. I am not a fan of canned usually, but they might work well here.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I would do it with fresh pineapple. Whenever i can I substitute fresh for canned. These sound delicious.

Fresh pineapple worked great, I can report! I wish I made twice as much sauce, it is that good. These would be great for a brunch, too! So, I am all set. Thanks for your help!

F730c248 a620 477d a5af 3892b44e389e  dscn6320

Great to know.I'll be making my recipe up soon, then. Fresh pineapple! int he same quantity?

Yes, same quantity. Four oz equals about 2 thick pineapple cored rings. I now have a scale to measure! In the future I will make double the sauce for more than a drizzle, with 8 oz of fresh pineapple, 2 peppers and 1 cup of water.