Tangerine , Chinese Orange Or Mini Orange ? (I don't 't know the exact name )from our garden love to know how to PRESERVE or any recipe with that

,

E5426f2d d771 43ea bb76 bda91c2b7299  99999

Christina Ward
Christina Ward October 18, 2010

I've got lots of preserving recipes for citrus but help me narrow down what you might like. Are you looking for a sweet preserve like a marmalade or a pickled citrus type? You could also do a candied peel or dried peel to prepare for holiday cooking. Let me know and I'll share all the recipes I have!

PS: Beautiful tree. Totally jealous, as we can't grown that in Wisconsin.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph October 18, 2010

Thank you Christina Ward may be they like our tropical climate I like to no all the recipes but.... preferably a pickled citrus that can serve with a chicken or pork roast roast like this http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bln0214b.htm

innoabrd
innoabrd October 18, 2010

Perhaps some type of mandarin or clementine. Here in south africa they're all known as nartjes. My most favourite thing to do with them these days is sherbet. I use the Joy of cooking orange sherbet recipe and sub nartjes for oranges. Off the top of my head, I think it was a litre of milk, a cup and a half of sugar, a cup and a half of nartje juice, a quarter cup of lemon juice and a few teaspoons of zest (grated rind). All needs to be blended til the sugar dissolves, then I freeze in my ice cream maker. Would think it would make a good kulfi also, and if I had some jaggery, I might be tempted to try that for some or all of the sugar.

Christina Ward
Christina Ward October 19, 2010

This is Mark Bittman's simple recipe. It's pretty basic for pickling citrus.

4 clementines (or lemons, or oranges)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Dice lemons, including peel, removing as many seeds as possible. Put the lemons and their juice in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and sugar; toss well and transfer to a jar. Let the mixture sit for at least 3 hours at room temperature, shaking the jar periodically. It can be served at that point or refrigerated for up to a week.

Yield: About 2 cups.

foodfighter
foodfighter October 19, 2010

You can do a liqueur. Take off the zest avoiding pith and let sit for 3 weeks in 2 parts liquor (vodka works), shake every few days. Then make a simple syrup 1.5:1 sugar to water, let cool. Mix and let site for another few weeks. Then filter thru cheese cloth or coffee filters (I run thru #4 filters then #2 filters). Then bottle, and store in the fridge. I did a batch of limoncello like this with 18 average size lemons 1.5 liters of vodka and 750 ml of syrup. It was awesome. Works with any citrus zest.