🔕 🔔

How can a plan a dinner to include one guest's low/no salt diet?

One guest (of four) needs low/no salt. Do you have ideas about menus that could involve as little salt as possible, without sacrificing flavor? Or what kinds of recipes can be adapted? It's a celebration, so I'd want it to be special.

asked by withinseason almost 5 years ago
41d1bf62 06b4 4146 b461 3df1a31058a7  wine

What about doing one of the fish en papillote recipes (see question a few below this one), which are wrapped individually? That way, you could leave one without salt but still properly season the others. Perhaps do a vegetable saute as a side and remove a portion to cook separately without salt. That's what I'd do...

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Making separate portions with no or low salt is a good idea. I'd also probably try to concentrate on ingredients that don't need a lot of salt to taste good. This means very fresh produce, probably from a farmer's market or as close to that as you can get. The better your produce, the less you'll need salt to make it taste good. Grains such as rice and quinoa don't really need a lot of salt--a little olive oil, lemon juice, some chopped green onions, and just a dash of salt and pepper will make any grain good. Concentrate on herbs for your vegetables. You can roast carrots with olive oil, maple syrup, pepper, ground allspice, chopped fresh thyme, and a dash of salt and they're delicious.

Consider a good-quality piece of meat as well. Maybe steak or pork chops. Those often don't want a lot of salt because you want to allow the true flavors to sing. Put a few salt shakers on the table for the guests who want more salt on their food and you'll probably be able to make everyone happy.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

A good deal of the salt in our diets comes from processed and packaged foods. Syronai's suggestion to utilize fresh produce and top-quality meat (or seafood) is a good way to avoid excess salt.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

There's one 52'er here that specializes in low sodium dishes. I forget her name "lowsodiumgirl" perhaps? Maybe she'll see the thread and comment. I like the fish en papillote suggestion...with some lime and such it would be flavorful.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Sodium girl has a blog. Here's a link to it:
http://sodiumgirl.wordpress...

drbabs says: Sodium girl has a blog. Here's a link to it:

Ahh..thats is the goto person for this stuff.