🔕 🔔

what's the best way to store ginger (the real stuff)? frige or counter??

asked by jendooley over 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Since where I live gets rather humid, I store ginger in the crisper of the refrigerator ...

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I store it in the freezer.

Freezer door, wrapped well in plastic. Since I always use it grated, the texture change doesn't matter.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

Freezer for me, too. I'll either use one of my MicroPlane grateres, or I'll thaw a small piece & cut as needed for the recipe.

Wholefoods user icon

I store it in the vegetable crisper like wssmom, it seems to last a long time.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I once followed a recommendation to keep ginger in sherry -- peel first, slice (or not), put in a jar with enough sherry to cover. That should keep it stable for a long time, but I didn't do it again!

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

vegetable drawer, wrapped in newspaper & then in a plastic baggie..

I peel my ginger root, cut it into thumb-sized pieces, wrap it well and then put it in air-lock back and freeze it. Should keep for several months that way.

09e96f32 5fc6 465f ae05 9f156b104560  family feb2012 version 2

I peel it, slice it in 1/2 inch chunks, put it in a jar with dry sherry or brandy to cover and keep it in the fridge. As I use the ginger, I just add more. The sherry or brandy are great in stir fries or sauces. You can keep this going indefinitely. I have found that the ginger looses a little of its bite after about a month so if you do not use it that often, just start with a smaller jar. I really like the freezer/grater ideas. Will definitely try those, too.