beyondcelery

The one time I had this, I stored it just like fresh ginger, wrapped in the produce drawer of my fridge. It stayed pretty fresh about 2 weeks, just like ginger. I've never frozen it, but I imagine you could.

Wonderful gift. Lucky you.

prettyPeas

That's a great looking specimen. I've frozen it before--it tends to be more watery in texture upon grinding after freezing, though I thought the flavor held up well.

bugbitten

I'm no expert, but you might oven-dry some if you want it to last.

gingerroot

Thanks Pickle Pals! I'm going to freeze some, store some in the fridge, try to replant some and see where that gets me. I'm working for a company that designs and installs/maintains custom kitchen gardens and gifts like this (from a client's garden - they did not want it) is definitely a perk! (Dirt facials, not so much!)

Panfusine

It stays for a long time wrapped in newspaper & stored in the chiller. I usually stick a couple of the roots (with the with those pale mounds, indicative of a spouting area) into the soil & let them grow. Ditto with ginger or any rhizome & get!
Fresh grated turmeric (maybe 1/4 -1/2 a tsp) in a glass of warm milk with a pinch of black pepper & honey is a natural great cough suppressant.

Dan Soloway
Dan Soloway

Dan is the founder of Kitchen Options

Wrap the tumeric (make certain it is dry) in paper towel, place in plastic bag and put in the refrigerator. Should last 2 to 3 weeks. You can freeze it like ginger, however, the consistency changes in a similar way to the way ginger freezes.

Green Goddess

Beyondcelery you should leave your fresh ginger on the counter - it wil mould in the fridge - on the counter it keeps (literally) for months!

Amalie

You can peel the rhizomes and pack them in a jar with vodka and store in the fridge for at least a year. Some people also store their peeled turmeric root in honey. This should last for 12 months also.

sara diamond

i buy mine a large amount at a time, and store it in the freezer, grate on a microplane as needed for use

kelly

http://www.tarladalal.com...

How to Store
Fresh turmeric can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks if it is left unpeeled. The fresh rhizomes store well if kept dry in the refrigerator - wipe dry if they are damp, then wrap with a paper towel before placing in a zip lock plastic bag.

foofaraw

If it is really fresh, my mom likes to store it in the potted soil, let it grow, and dig and take however much you need =)

Same with ginger.