🔕 🔔

What is a spice bag?

asked by Colleen Marie about 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

It's a little cheesecloth or muslin bag with a drawstring top, or a piece of cheesecloth you tie with string, in which to put spices (such as a bouquet garni) that you will be immersing in cooking liquid. You can later remove the spice bag; the object is not to have peppercorns and stuff randomly floating around.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I'd think it's just a little muslin or mesh bag or sachet filled with various spices - kind of like a tea bag, that you can easily extract from your pot or other cooking vessel after the spices have infused whatever you're making. Not sure if that helps?

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I think both of the above answers nailed it. A great substitute if you don't have one is diaper (burp) cloths. I don't use them with the kids anymore, but I kept them because they're about the same thickness as cheesecloth. I just cut them up with scissors and, as long as it wasn't used in tomato sauce or beet juice, you can just throw them in the washer and reuse them.