a question about cook timing for squid. in cold fruite de mare

what is the correct timing for cooking squid for cold fruite de mare. recipes seem all over the place from return to boil and cook for 2 or 3 minutes to simming for 20 to 40 minutes. Cooking liquids range from simple salted water to flavored liquid with vinegar/lemon and herbs.

asked by Jane Spaz about 7 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I'm a firm believer in quick cooking for seafood and especially squid. If you're cooking your seafood for pasta, do it no more than 2 or 3 minutes, seasoned however you like. If your fruite de mar includes shrimp. clams or mussels, all should be quick cooked.

Squid and all cephalapods (cuttlefish, octopus) need to be cooked either really quickly or given a long slow braise. In between the are going to toughen up. Mollusks are another story; they are cooked when they open up and sing "Pagliacci".