🔕 🔔

Food52 contest has inspired me to make candy at home ... any suggestions for a candy thermometer that works safely and well. Thanks!

asked by allie almost 7 years ago

I love the combo deep fry / candy thermometer Mr T picked up for me at Sur La Table for under $15 not too long ago (after I broke my old one by dropping it onto our super hard kitchen floor). It has a nice long, angled clip on it. Very well designed. ;o)

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

I have a Polder probe thermometer for roasting. However, it comes with a clip that allows you to use it for deep frying and candy. It was about 20 bucks. Similar to this one

http://www.amazon.com/Polder...

Also, I have a thermapen and I just did a marathon batch of donuts and found the polder probe thermometer I mentioned to be extremely well calibrated (i.e. within a degree F)

Thank you!

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

here are some reviews. http://homecooking.about...

Thanks everyone! Just used the old trusty Taylor clip on thermometer (no probe, no digital read out, or beep alerting me to my desired temperature) and as long as I'm willing to stand there for the last 30 minutes, that one seems to be most accurate.