While making caramel do I need candy thermometer?

I want to make caramel squares at home, but I don't have thermometer to take the actual temperature. Can I really make caramel perfectly without candy thermometer. Or shud I invest one?
Pretty please pickle pals!

asked by PistachioDoughnut over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Like Amanda said its not a bad idea to own a candy/fry thermometer. But by no means is it completely necessary. What do you think the French masters were using in the beginning? A thermometer will help you, it will make your like easier, but it is possible to make caramel using only your sight and smell. Do yourself a favor and invest in one.

MrJDanger

Its just a matter of knowing the different stages and what to look for in them...

PistachioDoughnut

Thanks! I bought a candy thermometer.. Yay!