🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

0fd42e61 84ca 4010 949c d9633b9f0715  md qkywxorbhdiml4ku5nw2mhd702 yp 5 n51owsxu

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter" from Genius Recipes.

I have about 20 lbs of ripe Roma tomatoes on my counter, and I'm thinking of making Marcella's tomato sauce in bulk, and canning it for winter. Is this feasible, or is there some reason I shouldn't do this?
thanks!

asked by peartart about 6 years ago

Can't think of a single one. And I'm a little bit insanely jealous.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

What a windfall!! Lucky you!!! :)

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I, personally would think twice about it. It is a really great sauce, but I am not sure how stable it would be for canning because of the large amount of butter it contains. Maybe try it with a smaller amount of clarified butter instead since it is more stable and the milk solids are precipitated, or cook the tomatoes about half way with about half the amount of onion called for (in terms of proportion of tomato to onion in the original recipe), and then finish it with some more onion and the butter before using it later on.

0ea83604 e12c 45e2 93c1 0cce6bb0c293  open uri20130825 24749 1nnov5s

@boulangere and wssmom, Don't envy me, hie thee to a really good greengrocer who sells in bulk quantities. My kitchen was like a sauna this afternoon, but I now have a shelf full of gorgeous tomato sauce just waiting for winter.

@Droplet. Thanks for your response. I did think twice, and came to the conclusion that it made more sense to make plain tomato sauce that can be dressed up with whatever strikes my fancy when I use it.