A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

0fd42e61 84ca 4010 949c d9633b9f0715  md qkywxorbhdiml4ku5nw2mhd702 yp 5 n51owsxu

I have a question about the ingredient "Salt to taste" on the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter" from Genius Recipes. I don't want to add salt to the recipe to cut down on sodium. Can you suggest any other spice or herb that would suffice.? I have lots of tomotos from my garden to use up.

asked by KarenOCook almost 7 years ago

usingSpoons

Replacing salt is hard - nothing else does the same job, which is to boost the flavour. I wouldn't skip the salt completely, but add a smaller quantity and taste it to see if you lIke the result. Another idea is to add a little vinegar - acid will also sharpen the flavor, but in a different way.

If you're on a salt-restricted diet, I wouldn't add any. If it's just a matter of preference, I'd use a pinch. (that translates into 1/8 teaspoon.)

A squirt of lemon juice would enhance the flavor, but tomatoes are pretty acidic on their own.

If you're limiting sodium in general, you might want to consider following Sodium Girl's blog. (http://sodiumgirl.wordpress...) She has great ideas for enhancing taste while limiting sodium.

My husband is on a low-sodium diet. I often finish with Kosher Salt at the end of cooking and eliminating any salt in the recipe for a salt taste. Thereare very good supermarket no salt spice blends by cuisine that could be used. Drdabs suggestion for sodiumgirl's blog is a great resource.