Restaurant recommendations in San Diego?

Will be heading to a conference in San Diego this November and want to plan out the best eating route possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated- I'm interested in the full range: hole-in-the-wall, high end, slow food, food shops, markets etc.

asked by iuzzini about 7 years ago

JanineB

Here's a good list: http://noms.in/sandiego

keel

Assuming the conference is downtown, Cucina Urbana in Bankers Hill is one of my favs. Mr. A's has an amazing city view from the roof top bar so it's fun for drinks. El Indio is a popular Mexican cheap eat. The Prado in Balboa Park is a fun place to have drinks and apps.

Do you plan on going to North County at all? There are lots of great places in Encinitas, Del Mar and Solana Beach.

lorigoldsby

Don't forget ocean beach---great little Mexican joint and really cute antique shops . Can't remember the tequila restaurant just off the corner of Old Town but delicious. Also temecula olive oil company has a storefront there and their citrus olive oil and white balsamic with pomegranate made it onto my table all summer long.

tessa022707

If you are downtown, head over to Hillcrest and hit up The Linkery, Urban Solace, Extraordinary Deserts, as well as the fun but silly (crazy sized b'fast) Hash House A Go-Go. If you are in town Saturday or Sunday, checkout either the Little Italy Farmers Market (Saturday) or the Hillcrest Market (Sunday). November is a great time to visit...oh and try to get to the Hotel Del Coronado and have a drink on the patio overlooking the beautiful Pacific.

My rec would be Oceanaire downtown. Fabulous seafood. Close to the convention center and the ballpark.Brian Malarkey was a competitor on Top Chef III. Hopefully he's still there if you visit.
In Mission Valley there's King's Fish House. It's part of a small chain, no more than six locations but the fish is really fresh. If you walk into the oyster bar area it smells like the ocean.

iuzzini

Thanks for the suggestions! Looking forward to trying them out! I'm currently in Indiana, so fresh seafood is a major draw!