Stale homemade rice krispie treats?

So I made a brown butter rice krispie treats yesterday. (That's my idea of hurricane preparedness!) It's a Smitten Kitchen recipe, and I actually made the marshmallow fluff for them. They're beer mallows. In the bowl, everything tasted delightful. Crispy, gooey, brown buttery. But once I pressed them into the pan, the texture turned stale. The cereal definitely wasn't stale. Any idea what causes that?

Recipe link: http://smittenkitchen.com...

Merrill Stubbs August 28, 2011

Sounds delicious! When you say the texture turned stale, do you mean they got brittle in the pan?

nomnivorous
nomnivorous August 28, 2011

The texture is odd - they're chewy and almost styrofoam-y. The cereal isn't crisp and crunchy like it normally stays in treats. It tastes like I used cereal from a box opened a year ago, not from a box I opened literally right before I poured them into the marshmallow and butter.

Sam1148 August 28, 2011

I'm guessing the humidly could have been a factor.

Merrill Stubbs August 28, 2011

I don't have any thoughts other than the humidity either!

Esther Plume
Esther Plume August 28, 2011

You say you made your own marshmallow fluff for the recipe, but the recipe calls for straightforward marshmallows.... Could it be that using your own fluff might have added more moisture to the recipe than plain mallows would have done? I've had a similar problem with a different recipe, and I think it was down to not getting the wet mix to coat the krispies but set very quickly so there's very little time for the moisture to soak in. Only speculations based on my own similar disappointments!

sdebrango August 28, 2011

Maybe it has to do with the homemade marshmallow fluff, it's different than using pre-made marshmallows. If the cereal isn't stale it could have t do with the humidity but it could also be the fluff.

nomnivorous
nomnivorous August 28, 2011

Interesting, I hadn't thought about that. The recipe was for marshmallows that set up nicely, so I figured using the marshmallows that were un-set would be fine. I'll have to give it a go with homemade mallows that set up and get remelted. It was crazy that it went from un-stale tasting in the bowl to totally stale in the pan!