A question about a recipe: Smoky Fried Chickpeas

8fdb4da4 dc66 4930 b199 1c5175e4cb52  2018 0118 fried chickpeas 3x2 julia gartland 7116

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Smoky Fried Chickpeas" from Aliwaks. It says:

"Drain Chickpeas and set on paper towels over a colander to dry throughly (can be done 1 day in advance)."

Curious if it makes a difference whether to rinse the chickpeas in cold water or not? Thank you!

asked by laurakelso over 7 years ago

You could if you want to reduce the salt content somewhat (depending on the brand you are using--some brands contain reduced salt, some no salt, or some are salted well). As for the draining, you want them as dry as possible, as they do "spit" quite a bit when you drop them in the hot oil, so the rinsing wouldn't affect that, so long as they are drained and dried well.