🔕 🔔

41aac0a9 6293 4e13 aa9d 4679cb7812f5  12497

My cup runneth over with Myers's rum. What to do with all of it? I have a good couple of litres of it, and i'm already dedicating some of it to making vanilla extract. The catch: I don't drink, and I won't be throwing any parties with giant bowls of dark rum punch. Any non-beverage ideas to use it up?

asked by vvvanessa almost 7 years ago

Ff0fff45 7881 43c7 aa61 ebdf4b92e852  puddin

Fruitcake or rum balls, for Christmas gifts? Rum cake in general is a good thing.

Oh, and a friend makes the most amazing grilled shrimp, brushed with a mixture of rum and brown sugar (about equal parts, should be thick but liquid). And then a good squeeze of lime on top when they come off the heat.

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a baking aficionado, writer, stylist, and Test Kitchen Manager at Food52. She is currently writing a cookbook.

Baba au rhum! I don't have a recipe, but it's simple an unbelieveably delicious!!!

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

I would use it in place of bourbon in a bourbon chicken recipe...like this:

http://www.dishinanddishes...

Stuff fresh figs with walnut halves and a few anise seeds, put in pint mason jars, cover with rum, put away for a month or two, and then eat, spooned over plain Greek yogurt, vanilla ice cream or a slice of lemony pound cake. Divine. Well worth the wait. ;o) P.S. If you can't get fresh figs, soak dried ones in rum and proceed as stated above.

8c5e3e9f 1b4a 49bc b261 442225295683  stringio

Rum banana bread, rum raisin ice cream, also would be lovely in deglazing a pan when pan frying pork chops or chicken. Infuse a few Mason jars full of the rum with a vanilla bean and let sit till the holidays and add to cheesecakes. Rum in pumpkin bread and/or pumpkin pie is great too!

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Bananas Foster, Captain.

Rum syrup (i'll send you the recipe via the messaging system, as what I have is protected by copyright). It's heavenly stirred into steaming whole milk, with a touch of nutmeg, in winter for a nightcap. Also, stuff a mason jar with yellow and/or flame or ruby raisins and fill the jar with rum, to plump them up for use in puddings, crisps, very-grown-up-holiday-brunch-French-toast and cold-weather desserts. ;o)

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. i'm not sure where to start first!

Aged eggnog?
I haven't tried it yet, but intend to, based on this recipe:
http://www.chow.com/recipes...

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

http://www.kitchenbutterfly... - A great rum sauce recipe I've made adn had with ice cream. Goes great with fresh fruit too - pineapples, strawberries, stone fruit and bananas.

I love using rum in the roasting of pineapple.

I make a syrup out of water, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and an aggressive splash of rum. Reduce it a little bit, pour it over pineapple in a baking pan, cover and roast. The pineapple comes out extremely flavorful.

Jon Palmer, that syrup sounds like it would be amazing on a lot of things! Really like the "aggressive splash of rum" part. ;o)

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Send it to me. :)

Boozy chocolate cake. Perhaps substitute for whiskey in this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com...