41aac0a9 6293 4e13 aa9d 4679cb7812f5  12497

My cup runneth over with Myers's rum. What to do with all of it? I have a good couple of litres of it, and i'm already dedicating some of it to making vanilla extract. The catch: I don't drink, and I won't be throwing any parties with giant bowls of dark rum punch. Any non-beverage ideas to use it up?

asked by vvvanessa almost 8 years ago

Dinner@Hazel's

Fruitcake or rum balls, for Christmas gifts? Rum cake in general is a good thing.

Oh, and a friend makes the most amazing grilled shrimp, brushed with a mixture of rum and brown sugar (about equal parts, should be thick but liquid). And then a good squeeze of lime on top when they come off the heat.

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Baba au rhum! I don't have a recipe, but it's simple an unbelieveably delicious!!!

foodfighter

I would use it in place of bourbon in a bourbon chicken recipe...like this:

http://www.dishinanddishes...

Stuff fresh figs with walnut halves and a few anise seeds, put in pint mason jars, cover with rum, put away for a month or two, and then eat, spooned over plain Greek yogurt, vanilla ice cream or a slice of lemony pound cake. Divine. Well worth the wait. ;o) P.S. If you can't get fresh figs, soak dried ones in rum and proceed as stated above.

testkitchenette

Rum banana bread, rum raisin ice cream, also would be lovely in deglazing a pan when pan frying pork chops or chicken. Infuse a few Mason jars full of the rum with a vanilla bean and let sit till the holidays and add to cheesecakes. Rum in pumpkin bread and/or pumpkin pie is great too!

Bananas Foster, Captain.

Rum syrup (i'll send you the recipe via the messaging system, as what I have is protected by copyright). It's heavenly stirred into steaming whole milk, with a touch of nutmeg, in winter for a nightcap. Also, stuff a mason jar with yellow and/or flame or ruby raisins and fill the jar with rum, to plump them up for use in puddings, crisps, very-grown-up-holiday-brunch-French-toast and cold-weather desserts. ;o)

vvvanessa

thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. i'm not sure where to start first!

seasonista

Aged eggnog?
I haven't tried it yet, but intend to, based on this recipe:
http://www.chow.com/recipes...

Kitchen Butterfly

http://www.kitchenbutterfly... - A great rum sauce recipe I've made adn had with ice cream. Goes great with fresh fruit too - pineapples, strawberries, stone fruit and bananas.

Jon Palmer

I love using rum in the roasting of pineapple.

I make a syrup out of water, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and an aggressive splash of rum. Reduce it a little bit, pour it over pineapple in a baking pan, cover and roast. The pineapple comes out extremely flavorful.

Jon Palmer, that syrup sounds like it would be amazing on a lot of things! Really like the "aggressive splash of rum" part. ;o)

Kayb

Send it to me. :)

askann

Boozy chocolate cake. Perhaps substitute for whiskey in this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com...