🔕 🔔

How to cook red beans and rice?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

There are a number of recipes on the Food52 site...go to the recipe search box and punch in "red beans and rice" to find them.

What I usually do is soak the red beans before hand if you are using dry or I guess you can used canned as well if you're pressed for time. I then saute onions and garlic for a few minutes and add in cumin, paprika, coriander salt and pepper. Then add in the rice, I would say about a cup and a half of rice is a serving and a half for 2 people and sautee it for a minute. Jasmine rice is a good bet. Then add in the drained beans and 2 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Once its boiling, bring the temperature as low as you can go, cover and cook for half an hour or until the rice is cooked.

I'm going to disagree politely with the previous recipe. Jasmine rice has no place in this dish---nor does paprika, cumin or coriander. Use long grain Carolina rice, and cook it separately. Red Beans and rice is a typical Monday (washing day) food in Louisiana, because it cooks all day long while you are doing the laundry. You will also need a ham hock as well as andouille style sausage. You will need the "holy trinity" of onion, green pepper and celery chopped up. Cayenne too. The secret weapon for bean based dishes that I make is a half cup of strong coffee. Nobody will be able to tell what it is but it adds this bottom flavor. Let me repeat that the rice is not cooked IN with the beans.