🔕 🔔

Chiles rellenos?

I have a bumper crop of poblano peppers for the first time! In Maine! (And some ripe 10 pound watermelons too, but that's another story.) What's the best recipe for chiles rellenos? Other poblano thoughts also welcome.

asked by mainecook61 about 6 years ago

608c6d9b a8a2 493c 84b1 0b0bd8574ef7  sks craigie

Steve Sando's recipe is a good start:
http://www.ranchogordo...
http://ranchogordo.typepad...

I have been using variations on recipes from his book. I put a layer of refried beans in the roasted chiles, then fill them up with a pilaf/chorizo mixture, and top with cheese. Since I make the beans from scratch the day before, and I cook the pilaf the day before (or use leftover rice), it makes for a relatively quick and easy after work dinner.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Here are two Food52 winning recipes that called for poblanos! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

You have my favorite problems! dymnyno posted a most amazing recipe that has received accolades when I serve it and takes a lot of poblanos! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I thought of another idea. I once had a soup that was a cross between a chile relleno and French onion soup - it was basically poblanos and onions which had been sauteed in pork fat, and instead of a slice of French bread topped with mozzarella, there was a toasted tortilla topped with Manchego.

I have a s***load of sweet red peppers that have landed on me all of a sudden. I'm going to adapt dymnyno's recipe here to accommodate them. I'll split the peppers lengthwise, then fill them with her stuffing and grill the halves.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i used to work at restaurant that made a great roasted poblano and roasted corn risotto. that combination would be great in a grain salad (barley or brown rice, maybe) or on a grilled flatbread drizzled with queso fresco and/or cotija.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

If I was lucky enough to have a bumper crop of poblanos, I'd make a big pan of Rajas con Crema - roasted, cut into strips ('rags'), sauteed with onions, then simmered in cream (Mexican crema, creme fraiche - though I've used sour cream too and it's fine.) Seriously good wrapped in a warm tortilla, alone or with shredded chicken, turkey, cheese or whatever you like; also great with grilled skirt steak; even with scrambled or fried eggs.

I don't really use a recipe to make it, but Google turned up a basic one that's pretty much the same: http://worldsfare.wordpress...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

One good use for excess peppers Is to take a thick thread and large needle. And go through the top of the pepper. tie a knot...repeat with the next pepper. So you have a 'garland' of peppers. Hang those up in your kitchen to dry from the ceiling--use eye hooks or some good tape, so you have festoons of peppers hanging from the ceiling.
(I like saying festoons).

I love a roasted poblano stuffed with a mixture of shredded cheddar, feta, cilantro, onions, and corn. Evoo and S+P too, of course. Sometimes I throw in pine nuts. Bake at 400 until melty and lightly browned. It's a lighter version of a stuffed chili that I like better than one that's battered and fried. With all that cheese, I still wouldn't call it light though.

I also LOVE roasted poblano salsa. Add to a food processor: 2 roasted seeded poblanos, salt, evoo, lime juice, 1/2 bunch cilantro, a few fresh seeded plum or 1/2 can diced drained tomatoes (organic tastes best) and blend/pulse until just a bit chunky. Delish!

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

You can stuff just about anything into a poblano - the perfect shell. They are relatively mild and provide a pleasing kick to interiors filled with cheese, shredded chicken or pork, beans, rice, roasted veggies, each singly or in all combinations. You can nap with a mole or salsa and give them further depth with roasted nuts, raisins, and pomegranate seeds.

How could I have forgotten? Chiles en Nogada. Poblanos stuffed with pork, fruits, nuts, spices, all things delicious and then served in a creamy walnut sauce, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. Gorgeous looking too. This recipe is based on Diana Kennedy's: http://simplyrecipes.com...

It's a bit of a production to make, but truly a labor of love. (And if you don't believe me, read the novel Like Water for Chocolate.)

I live in Mexico--rajas con crema is a very popular dish here. You can serve it with grilled meat or in a tortilla. This is Susanna Palazuelos's recipe, but you can be very flexible with it.

1/4 cup butter or oil, 1 sliced onion, 6 chiles poblanos roasted, peeled, and cut into strips, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup creme fraiche (you could substitute heavy cream or sour cream).
Melt butter in a large skillet, add the onion and saute until transparent. Add the chiles and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and the cream. When the cream begins to bubble remove from heat and stir.

I kind of like Amysarah's Diana Kennedy suggestion. Next month I have to assist on a stuffed pepper as headline meal for about 30 people. One course will definitely be peppers stuffed with brandade/aka bacallao. Reconstituted salt cod with potatoes. Kind of a Spanish-French thing.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

My Mom's version of chiles rellenos is an easy one and was my favorite homecoming meal in college. She used whole chiles from a can, so if you use roasted/peeled fresh poblanos it will be even better.

Each pepper was stuffed with a thick slice of jack cheese. They were then laid in a dish and covered in a custard made of plain yogurt, eggs, taco seasoning and a few teaspoons of flour all blended together. I don't know the exact measurements because I never wanted any version but hers! Then the whole thing was covered with shredded cheese and baked until the custard was set and browned around the edges.

I have to admit that I've attempted a vegan version of this with homemade coconut yogurt. It was good, but nothing will ever touch Mom's!

Wow, I just thought of something here. A concept.

Using a stuffing of http://www.food52.com/recipes...
as the base mix for stuffing in the peppers and fried, or baked.
Then use the candied tomatoes, sliced up, as a garnish, topping. for the dish.
And serve with crusty bread.

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

You could also freeze roasted ones right in the skin. I was told you just roast them black; chill in freezer on pan; pop them into freezer bags. this way once defrosted the flavor is held intact.