The Italian nonstick pro chefs swear by, exclusive to us! Shop now »
🔕 🔔

What's the best way to freeze jalapenos?

I have a bumper crop of jalapeno peppers this summer - more than I can possibly use while they're ripe. What's the best way to freeze them? Can I just mine them an put them in zip lock bags and pull them out as I need them?

asked by KirstenS over 5 years ago
B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I mince jalapeno, freeze all spread out on a sheet pan, then scoop the minced, individually frozen bits into a ziplock bag. It's easy to scoop out a tablespoon or two whenever you need 'em.

You can also freeze the chiles whole, then drop an entire jalapeno into a pot of beans.

Alternately, I'll smoke dozens of jalapenos at the end of the season to put up homemade chipotles in adobo.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Ksherk, I do what you describe: pop them whole into a ziplock bag, then when I need them, I wash and do any slicing, chopping or mincing/ seeded or not, as needed. Works for me.

Wholefoods user icon

I toss whole peppers in a freezer bag and pull them out as needed. They don't stick together. Mine are from the garden and I give them a quick rinse before I chop them, still frozen. You can probably also wash, dry and freeze 'em. Either way, it's super easy

Cheers,
Susan
www.cardamomkithen.blogspot...

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I rinse off and then stem, seed and split the japalenos; spread them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for several hours and then store the frozen halves in a ziplock or vacuum freezer bag.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Thanks for the question, ksherk! Am now freezing my peppers. Before the only way I thought to save them was dehydrating them, which is ok, but for the size they are freezing will be much better.