Shirataki Pasta - Recipes Needed

My Aunt gave me two bags of Miracle Noodle brand shirataki "pasta" noodles to play with for her no carb diet. I have the brand recipes and searched on-line but nothing looks decent. Anyone cooked with them before? Looking for tips, preparation suggestions and general do's & don't's. Any cuisine recipes, except Indian, Thai, Mexican would be greatly appreciated. The pasta shape I have are fettuccini and rice.

wssmom
wssmom September 2, 2011

This comes via a low-carb dieter ....

1 package shirataki noodles (3 servings)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 medium tomato, chopped
3 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Rinse the noodles under hot water and cut into manageable lengths, then combine with the remaining ingredients. Makes 3 sides.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 3, 2011

Wonderful, wssmom & thank you! Slim pickins for good recipes. Keep em coming ya'll. I want to pan fry rhem after boiling. The texture is slimy, IMHO.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen September 3, 2011

Make sure you rinse them thoroughly and then dry them as well as possible...use them as you would in any pasta dish...trust me..as a former low carber your Aunt will appreciate any dish that resembles pasta if she's a pasta lover.

mrslarkin April 16, 2013

Hey sexyL, my sister just game me 4 bags of these noodles. What was your verdict? What did you do with them?

Sam1148 April 16, 2013

Look for Japaneese Applications. That's where they originate.
Use them in any Japanese noodle bowl recipe, or Thai dishes (even pad Thai fried). Remember there are two types of these noodles one is traditional 'yam' based noodle the other is the Tofu based noodled.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 17, 2013

Don't you love trying something new? I've been cooking with shirataki for 35 years-- (traditional shape) and for no carb there isn't anything which beats it. Its made for boiling to absorb flavors. So if making pasta, you might mix it with the sauce, instead of just serving a sauce on top (

I've posted several recipes that use shirataki, a chili- http://food52.com/recipes...

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 17, 2013

Sukiyaki, a one-pot meal, http://food52.com/recipes...

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 17, 2013

And a stew-type dish. http://food52.com/recipes...
Also, if you make 3 cups of rice, substitute 1/2 of the 'rice' shaped shirataki for real rice. It should hold its shape with less calories, but I haven't actually used your
shaped-type, so I'm going by what's the trend here.

amysarah April 17, 2013

I'm intrigued. I see shirataki noodles at my local Asian market all the time, and always wondered about them. Is their texture actually noodle-y (as in pasta, or soba, etc.)? Or more vegetable-ish? For instance, much though I like 'spaghetti squash' - and it's nice served with whatever sauce/grated parm - for me, it's a thing unto itself, not a pasta-spaghetti 'sub.' So is shirataki more like that, or does it have an actual noodle character (mouth feel?) beyond the shapes and usage?

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 17, 2013

amysarah, I'm glad you're intrigued! But I'll be honest. If you are cooking an Asian dish, there is nothing else like it. Pasta is flour, even soba noodles are 70% white flour unless you buy the expensive kind. But there is no flour in shirataki, so the
texture is different, slightly rubbery. Since you don't really like the spaghetti-squash, you probably won't like this at first. Try one of my dishes made for Western
tastes.

BUT
If you are on a low-carb or South Beach Diet, or Low Glycemic Diet
THERE IS NOTHING THAT BEATS SHIRATAKI. YOU CAN EAT RICE. YOU CAN EAT PASTA AGAIN. It's not the same. That's the meaning of a substitute. Not the same, but it will add more variety to sexyLambchopx' Aunt's diet.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 17, 2013

Also, as inpatskitchen recommends, wash first. The Asian shirataki might be a little smelly. Pour boiling water over, then drain. Then boil in a sauce. It will pick up the surrounding juices. Shiraraki can also be boiled for 30 min and not lose shape (sorry, I don't know if that is true for the pasta/rice shaped-kind). Someone let me know please.

amysarah April 18, 2013

Thanks for the info. Re: spaghetti squash - I do like it...but on its own terms, not as a pasta sub. So was wondering if that analogy holds true for shirataki.

I'm not on any special diet, just curious to check out shirtaki - I frequently make Asian noodle dishes (rice too), so will try it that way first. Fun, something new!

mrslarkin April 18, 2013

I made some shirataki last night. I used the fettucine shaped noodles, they are similar in shape to rice noodles for pad thai. I made a pad thai/peanut sauce to go with the noodles. I liked them, but my family did not. The noodles are definitely rubbery, and the texture reminded me a lot of cold jelly fish salad that is served in real Chinese restaurants. Once the noodles are rinsed, blanched and towel-dried, they have no odor. I heated the peanut sauce, then added the noodles and cooked for a few minutes. Topped with cilantro and peanuts. I thought it was pretty good. i liked that the noodles retained their shape and did not fall apart.

Now i've got a bag of rice shape, and 2 cappellini to play with.

thank you BoulderGalinTokyo for your very helpful comments!

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 18, 2013

Mrs. Larkin, so glad you tried it. I had no idea it came it fettucine and in cappellini shapes! Welcome me to the new world!
The cold jelly fish analogy is not mistaken...but flavored, it becomes magical in another sense--in some diets, 0 carb is perfect!