🔕 🔔

Why do chicken noodle soup recipes always specify "egg" noodles? Why not any pasta noodle? Do they not cook the same?

asked by CMTerp over 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I think this has to do with the fact that egg noodles are often eaten very soft, not al dente like Italian pasta, so the fact that they're left in the boiling liquid doesn't affect the texture in a negative way. Personally, I love farro or orzo in chicken soup, or even little half rigatoni. No worries about the texture -- it's soup!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

It might just be tradition with no real difference in cooking - egg noodles were what non-Italians might have used? I actually like fideos in chicken soup.

I love different kinds of pastas in soup - it's a good way to use up tag ends. To avoid the over-cooking question, I cook the pasta separately and add it to the soup when I serve it. I deal with leftovers the same way: hold them separately.