Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Stumped by Coco Lopez

I 'inherited' three cans (8 1/2 oz.) of Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut from a neighbor who moved. And it's sitting in my pantry taunting me.

I frequently cook with regular coconut milk (curries, etc.) but this stuff is super sweet, more suited to desserts. I haven't found any recipes that use it that call out to me - but as a coconut fanatic and thrifty girl, I hate to see it eventually get tossed.

Anyone know any flan, ice cream, cake, or other recipes that use this stuff? (Not interested in making Pina Coladas - not a fan of sweet drinks.)

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Maybe you can tweak a key lime pie recipe to accomodate the coco lopez. You usually use sweetened condensed milk for a key lime pie and lime and coconut go beautifully together so you could make a key lime coconut pie. Just a thought. I have never used coco lopez before for anything but drinks.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

The Coco Lopez website has some suggestions for recipes, including breads, main dishes, and sides. It might be a good leaping off spot. http://www.cocolopez.com...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You can also search recipe sites for "cream of coconut" and see what you come up with. I used cream of coconut for making the Cook's Illustrated recipe for coconut cake.
http://www.foodnetwork...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Yeah, I did do a few searches - and also saw the Coco Lopez site's recipes. Nothing really grabbed me. But the CI coconut cake looks good...must ponder. Thx.

sdebrango, I like the key lime pie idea. It's my husband's favorite and I haven't made one in a while...maybe I could add some toasted flaked coconut to the graham cracker crust as well, to up the coconut quotient.

Here's another thought. I'm not sure how Coco Lopez compares to Thai coconut creams. I'm sure it's a whole lot sweeter. But you might look at Thai recipes, like this one for coconut egg custard, just cutting down the sugar a lot. http://www.thaifoodandtravel...

It's from Kasma Loha-unchit's site. She is one of the greats.

I think that you could thin the coco lopez a bit with some coconut milk or heavy cream so that its the consistency of sweetened condensed milk, and you read my mind on the flaked coconut, I also thought that if you use whipped cream on the pie instead of sugar add a tbs or two of coco lopez to sweeten it and top with toasted flaked coconut. I love the idea of adding coconut to the graham cracker crust. Its all an experiment really have never done this before but the coco lopez is thick and sweet and I think it would set nicely with the lime juice and make a really nice pie.

A Thai custard sounds great - I've made lots of Thai curries, etc...but never a Thai dessert before. Thanks for the site rec too.

And re: the pie - coconut whipped cream, coconut/lime filling, coconut crust - my husband will think I'm being nice by making him a key lime pie, when I'm really making myself a coconut-orgy. Ssshh....

Who knew those pesky little cans of Coco Lopez would be so inspiring?

If you make the pie let us know how it goes, i would love to know. The Thai custard sounds amazing too! Maybe some lemongrass in it would be really nice.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

My impression of Coco Lopez is there is a reason why you "inherited" it from your neighbor. Usually when something is over-salted-or-sweetened it is to cover up lack of quality (and it does have added sugar AND salt, among the 11 other ingredients besides coconut). Someone bought me a can by accident when I asked for coconut milk one day. The contents sat in my freezer for weeks until I finally gathered up the courage to toss it.

Sorry to be such a snob. If you try it and don't mind the taste, then use it. But if you don't like the stuff, better in the trash can than in your body.

I recently made a coconut cake. Instead of the water or milk, I used a combo 4 parts coconut milk and 1 part cocoa lopez in a yellow cake recipe. Made the cake taste like coconut and the whole house smelled like coconut while it was baking.

You could use more cocoa lopez but would have to reduce sugar elsewhere. You could do this with a cake mix, too.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

I have also used the coco Lopez in my coconut cake by reducing the fat and sugar. A second can can be used for the icing instead of the butter. Just use the CL and powdered sugar. I top with toasted SHAVED coconut.

Hi!
I make a 'doctored cake mix' coconut pound cake with canned coconut cream. Here's the recipe-
Coconut Velvet Pound Cake with Key Lime Glaze
1 18.25-oz.) pkg. white cake mix
1/4 cup oil or butter, melted & cooled
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can coconut cream (400 mls)

Key Lime Glaze-
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice

Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine cake mix, coconut cream, oil or butter, 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract & eggs; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Pour batter into sprayed pan. Bake at 325°F. for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate.
To make glaze: when cake has cooled mix lime juice & powdered sugar until well blended, drizzle over cake.

99988d06 447b 42cb 882b b91e16b76a4a  hp scands 842919525854

I know you said you're not a fan of sweet drinks like Pina Coladas; but what about sweet non-alcoholic drinks? Have mixed Coco Lopez with ice, honeydew melon, and fresh mint, in the food processor or blender, and it makes a really delicious, decadent smoothy-type drink appropriate to serve at a brunch. People lose their minds over this, so even if it's not your thing, your guests may just solve your Coco Lopez problem for you!

My two favorite recipes for Rico lopez were pina coloda bread pudding at Bahamas Breeze, and coconut shrimp and dipping sauce from red lobster. Both recipes should still be on the internet or available from Darden, if not and you are interested, let me know and I will find them and post them for you. I would now, but I am in a mobile phone and don't have the recipes handy. Good luck! Enjoy!