A question about a recipe: Jeni's Splendid Lemon Cream Ice Cream

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Jeni's Splendid Lemon Cream Ice Cream" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Freeze: Remove the lemon zest. Pour the ice cream base into the frozen canister and turn on the machine. Pour the lemon syrup through the opening in the top of the machine, and continue to spin the ice cream until thick and creamy."

How does one remove the zest? A strainer? Which makes the use of a micrograter impossible. Thanks in advance - sounds delicious.

• Posted by: Bob Y
  • September 4, 2011

Jean | Delightful Repast
Jean | Delightful Repast September 4, 2011

An earlier step tells you to remove the zest in large strips using a vegetable peeler. So it would be very easy to remove from the ice cream base.

drkate
drkate September 4, 2011

I'll bet you could use a microplane grater with this recipe if you don't have a regular vegetable peeler to take off the big strips of zest as directed in step one. The thing about this recipe is it is supposed to produce a very smooth end product; with the microplane zest, your resulting ice cream would have a little bit of texture, but if you don't mind that bit of zesty texture, I think it would be fine.

Laura Hazard Owen
Laura Hazard Owen September 5, 2011

I used a wide vegetable peeler and then used tongs to remove the peel from the custard. I would recommend peeling in one strip to the extent that you can so that you don't have to fish around for the shorter strips of zest.