🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cardamom Peach Pie Filling

C4009e07 f414 470c 9c2a 3cbe73c292e4  peachy

I have a question about the recipe "Cardamom Peach Pie Filling" from MrsWheelbarrow. I made this recipe and left 1/3 inch headspace in my jars before processing. When I took the jars out of the canner the peach liquid oozed down the sides of the jars. The seal remained intact but I am concerned that the seal may have been affected. Would you suggest opening the jars, pouring out some of the liquid and re-canning?

asked by sticksnscones about 6 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Siphoning of the liquid is common. To avoid it, keep the boiling at a consistent boil but not too rollicking. Also, the headspace should be 1" (I'm going to fix the recipe to include this important piece of information!) In the meantime, once the jars are cool, remove the rings and wash your jars, then check the seal by carefully lifting the jar by the ring. If it's holding, you're fine. If not, reprocess.

Wholefoods user icon

http://clark.wsu.edu/family...
Just click on this site and you will get lots of great information on canning pie filling to ENJOY later